In interesting fact about the scale and tape measure

Options
I have been on MFP since 9/10,but before that I lost 22 pounds and 1 pant size on my own with diet and minimal exercise. Like,Maybe 4 times a month.If that. Since I joined MFP nothing has changed but the way I eat,primarily my sodium intake and I no longer drink soda. I have lost 8pounds,37(!!) inches and 2 pant sizes!! More "progress" than I had made on my own in an entire year!
The point of my story don't worry about your scale. Period. When I weighed this morning it said I had gained a pound. But when I measured it said I had lost another 3 inches! Gain a pound,lose 3 inches? Sounds like a great deal to me! I don't care what the scale says anymore because the tape measure don't lie!:wink:

Replies

• holiday33
    holiday33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This post makes me feel so much better. I have a terrible tendency to step on the scale everyday and when I do that and the number is higher than I expect I lose all drive and let it ruin my day. I'm going to try to use the tape measure once a week instead of the scale everyday. Thanks for the post, it was a great reminder of not going by the scale everytime. :smile:
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    tape measure never lies :)
  • thebomb4
    thebomb4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I like the sound of this, I read a similar thread last week and went and bought a measuring tape right away. I've lost inches from my thighs, stomach and wasit, and a little on my arms. I must admit though I would still be gutted if the scales read the same or more from the week before but hopefully it won't come to that. I still have a long way to go!

Good luck on the rest of your journey superhippiechik
  • JimHeid
    JimHeid Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well said! And congratulations!
  • JennyJH
    JennyJH Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more.

I changed the battery in my scale and it said I was 5lb heavier!! If I was the weight my scale said, I wouldn't have gotten into my favourite jeans tonight!! Getting back into my nice clothes, feeling and looking better are what counts in my book.
  • CCJ13
    CCJ13 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    so glad I saw this. I stepped on the scale this morning & it said I had gained a pound. I'm know I've lost inches though because my pants are too big. I need to measure & see how many inches I've lost.
  • lilmommy
    Options
    Yes thanks so much for posting this!! Sometimes when I step on the scale after eating good and excersizing and the scale says + anything I freak out and the hole day goes down the drain!! I think my goal this week will be to stay off the scale!!
    Again thanks so much for your post!!
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    Great reminder and what an awesome feeling, huh? :)
  • katmandoo122
    katmandoo122 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are two types of "losing weight"...one is the kind we all try to do..."I'm going on a diet because I absolutely have to lose weight..." In other words, you know you aren't as healthy as you could be and you want to carve out the vices (calories, fat, sedentary lifestyle).

The other kind is "I have to lose X pounds."

The fact is that if you do the former kind, you will almost ALWAYS reach a point where you gain weight even as you become healthier, slimmer, and better able to handle our own nutrition. Fat and water weigh less than muscle and so when you start a new program, you may lose weight at first but will eventually level out and likely gain weight even as your clothes fit better (or worse, if they become too big!).

Moral of the story: Stop paying too close attention to the weight and pay more attention to how you feel and, to a lesser extent, how you look.

Thanks for posting the reminder, though...it's so easy to forget!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    This post makes me feel so much better. I have a terrible tendency to step on the scale everyday and when I do that and the number is higher than I expect I lose all drive and let it ruin my day. I'm going to try to use the tape measure once a week instead of the scale everyday. Thanks for the post, it was a great reminder of not going by the scale everytime. :smile:

:flowerforyou:
  • superhippiechik
    Options
    Yes thanks so much for posting this!! Sometimes when I step on the scale after eating good and excersizing and the scale says + anything I freak out and the hole day goes down the drain!! I think my goal this week will be to stay off the scale!!
    Again thanks so much for your post!!

:drinker:
  • superhippiechik
    Options
    so glad I saw this. I stepped on the scale this morning & it said I had gained a pound. I'm know I've lost inches though because my pants are too big. I need to measure & see how many inches I've lost.

Do it! You will be dancing around in your underwear(like me!) making your pets think you are crazy! LOL Crazy happy!
  • Jessicapages
    Options
    When I got on the scale on monday it said that I had gained 3 pounds,3pounds i was in tears.I have been doing Turbo Fire for 3 weeks and had lost 3 pounds,I had to take 3 days off this past weekend because I had really bad shin splints.When I got on the scale I was so depressed.I am now in my 4th week of TF and i do my measurements on sun.we will see what the tape measure says.Thank you for posting this,makes me fell alot better!! :)