Brittle Nails!

modernfemme
modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed my nails are super brittle. After first I thought it was because i was biting my nails or maybe using detergents that were hurting them, but today I noticed my toe nails are also splitting and cracking at the tips.

Possible nutritional issue? Anything I can do to try to help by adding certain foods to my diet?

Thank you!

Additional info: I'm vegetarian

Replies

• ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    I am sure it is nutritional, but I don't know which ones! I just know when I take my mega vitamins from GNC my nails rock and when I don't (or take cheaper vitamins) they crack, break and peel.
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    I'm not a vegetarian and I've notice this on my fingernails too!!

I get lots of protein.. lots of fatty acids..

but still, my fingernails are flaking and breaking so easily. Normally I have nice long nails and now I have to keep them short
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    It would go back to protein. :o) You might want to try a Hair, Skin and Nails vitamin, Pre-Natal or add a Biotin supplement to your morning regime. That is that I've done! :o) I have hair issues as well and just can't seem to kick it no matter how much protein I add to my diet it so I've been adding supplements! :o)
  • PediNurse67
    PediNurse67 Posts: 66 Member
    Did it just start when you started dieting? If so, then it is most likely related to a nutrtional deficiency. You can try taking biotin. I would talk to your physician if the symptoms do not begin to improve.
  • ammingjay
    ammingjay Posts: 45 Member
    Go to your nearest feed (or saddle) store and get something called hoof hardener (way cheaper than the person version) it's designed to keep horses's hooves from cracking. If you get it at the feed store you get more than you could use for about $5, vs at a nail salon where a nail polish size will cost about $10.

Not sure about the actual cause, but I noticed mine did it when it was cold and dry outside. The hoof hardener fixed it.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    You might be low on biotin.
  • As long as I take pre-natal vitamins my nails are rock hard (no I'm not preggo but still take them!) If I don't take them my nails get soft and break off easily.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed my nails are super brittle. After first I thought it was because i was biting my nails or maybe using detergents that were hurting them, but today I noticed my toe nails are also splitting and cracking at the tips.

Possible nutritional issue? Anything I can do to try to help by adding certain foods to my diet?

Thank you!

Additional info: I'm vegetarian

Protein and Biotin are what you are lacking and needing!!!
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    I am thinking maybe B vitamins? Pre-natals have a lot of Bs, I know my GNC has a ton of B, and it seems like protein didn't help any of us. Calcium could be another culprit.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    As you've seen, people have mentioned biotin, protein, B's and others....

I would look at any number of things that maybe you've changed in the last few MONTHS that could be the culprit: have you had any medical or prescription changes? Has your water decreased or caffeine/alcohol increased? Is your hair being affected (be sure to check for that! hair and nails are often together!). What have you taken out of your diet that you used to consume alot of or regularly and see if you can pinpoint the nutrient that you've perhaps eliminated.

The problem with something as generic as hair and nails is that it could be any number of things including symptoms of something internal that has nothing to do with your nutrition; hormone fluxs can do this, for example. Unless you've had a full panel blood work-up by a medical professional, I wouldn't assume any of us really know what it is. You might be able to figure it out though by process of elimination.

Oh.. and I almost forgot to mention - a change in diet can cause a change in hormone production which could then affect skin, hair and nails. So, this could also be temporary while your body adjusts to the changes you've made. I'm not saying it *is* hormones.. I'm saying there's too many possibilities for any of us here to be able to tell you what you should do.

Good luck!
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    You might be low on biotin.

agreed. i take biotin supplements every day.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    1. Buy some good quality vitamins. There's a huge variety of choices out there that you would benefit from, but a natural women's multi should do the trick.

2. Keep your nails moisturized. Rub cuticle cream of some type into them at night.

3. Essenital fatty acids. Evaluate your intake of them to make sure it is adequate. i.e nuts, seeds, legumes

4. Nails need vitamin D which is in short supply during winter months. I bet they will get healthier when the weather improves!
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    change up your milk from skim to 2%, and if you are already doing that then from 2% to full fat. it helps. A LOT.
    odds are you are low on protein. is your hair falling out more than normal too?
  • Teerai
    Teerai Posts: 243 Member
    Gelatin, gelatin, gelatin.

You can make jello every day or just drink the hot/warm liquid before it sets. The small package of sugar free of 4 servings is 40 cals total and your hair and nails improve drastically after about three weeks. Also a yummy end of the meal treat or snack!!
  • kyoules
    kyoules Posts: 37 Member
    Most gelatin isn't vegetarian. My nails have also been very weak lately, but I definitely notice a difference when I regularly take a multi-vitamin. Right now I'm taking VegLife Vegan One Multiple.
This discussion has been closed.