Finished my first half marathon!!

Options
tamcrit
tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
I completed the Carlsbad Half Marathon on Sunday...my first half marathon!! My goal was to finish sub 3 hours, so I am very pleased with my 2:46 finish. The remarkable thing isn't necessarily finishing a half marathon, but how far I have come this past year. This time last year, I weighed 50 pounds more than I do now, and when I started the Couch to 5K program last February, I could barely make it through the 30 second running intervals. So, to all of you who are just starting or who think you can't do it, let me be a testament to what can be accomplished. Because if you had told me last January that I would run a half marathon in a year, I would have thought you were crazy. But I stuck with it, getting stronger each week and building up my physical strength. I did a 2 mile run last March, my first 5K last May, my first 10K last October, and now I have done a half marathon!! So hang in there and stick with your plan. I am a 43 year old, married mother of two...not a lifelong athlete...but I plan to be now. I have already signed up for a training group to keep my training going for my second half marathon in April. I found that staying signed up for my next event kept me focused on a goal and kept me on track with my fitness. So best of luck to everyone and know that it can be done and you can do it too!!

Replies

• jsuzanne
    Options
    WOW Congrats. You have done so well. I'm just starting. I'll use you for inspiration :)
  • rmsnipes
    rmsnipes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What a great sense of accomplishment. Running is a wonderful tool for weight loss. You have so much to be proud of!
  • courtrptr13
    Options
    Congrats on your accomplishment! I want to train to run a half in September and have a list of races in between to get me there. I agree about the goal setting to keep yourself going. I also am hoping to shed 35 - 40 pounds while training. You're an inspiration!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am soooooo proud of you!!!! That was a huge accomplishment!!!!!! KUDOS, WTG!!! Hoorah!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Lana
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I still remember completing my first half marathon. It's a wonderful accomplishment. I hope to get back to those days. Slow & steady. I know I can do it. Keep it up! Before you know it, you'll be doing a 25k and then a marathon!
  • tamcrit
    Options
    Congrats on your accomplishment! I want to train to run a half in September and have a list of races in between to get me there. I agree about the goal setting to keep yourself going. I also am hoping to shed 35 - 40 pounds while training. You're an inspiration!

Looks like a great plan!! Stick with it...you can do it!!
  • tamcrit
    Options
    Congratulations! I still remember completing my first half marathon. It's a wonderful accomplishment. I hope to get back to those days. Slow & steady. I know I can do it. Keep it up! Before you know it, you'll be doing a 25k and then a marathon!

I guess I should never say never, but I really don't aspire to do anything longer than a half, but I do plan to continue to do halves!! I have at least four more planned for this year...April, June, August, and December...with shorter races in between. One of my new years resolutions was to do a race each month, so I am setting up my calendar for the year...keeps me focused and on track.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    So proud of you - congratulations girl!!!:flowerforyou:
  • tamcrit
    Options
    So proud of you - congratulations girl!!!:flowerforyou:

Thanks Sil!!
  • sixpackgoal
    Options
    Congrats! That was an awesome accomplishment. I finished Chicago's Half Sept 2010.
    It was so much fun running with 20,000 other people who were as fit or way, way more fit than me. The winner finished in 1:06 or so....strong and sleek like a deer.
    I have friends begging me to do a full marathon with them but I love the manageable training for the half.
    I joke with them and say I think I will just stay half fit. My longest run go up to 14 miles in training and I am back at the house before anyone in my family wakes up. I can fit my favorite seven miler around nearby lake before work if I get up early enough.
    Twenty mile runs for full mary......no thanks.
  • jennpv
    jennpv Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! My boyfriend has run a marathon and a relay marathon and I'm hoping that we can run one together someday! Your post gave me the confidence that if I take it slow and start out with a 5K I can eventually work my way up! Thanks!!!
  • student0007
    student0007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That is GREAT! I just registered for the Phila Distance Run (1/2 marathon) which is in September! You are an inspiration!!!
  • tamcrit
    Options
    Congrats! That was an awesome accomplishment. I finished Chicago's Half Sept 2010.
    It was so much fun running with 20,000 other people who were as fit or way, way more fit than me. The winner finished in 1:06 or so....strong and sleek like a deer.
    I have friends begging me to do a full marathon with them but I love the manageable training for the half.
    I joke with them and say I think I will just stay half fit. My longest run go up to 14 miles in training and I am back at the house before anyone in my family wakes up. I can fit my favorite seven miler around nearby lake before work if I get up early enough.
    Twenty mile runs for full mary......no thanks.

Wow!! Awesome time on your half!! Was that your first?? That's great!! I am signed up for my second one on April 17, with a 2:30 goal, so very impressed with your time. I agree...I do not aspire to do anything beyond a half. I think my favorite distance is 10K...I am running a 10K on Feb. 13. I am hoping to run an event of some sort, at least once a month this year. If I don't keep signing up for events, it will become too easy to slack off on my training, and I do not want to do that, so the events keep me motivated. Thanks for the support and again, congrats on your accomplishment as well!!
    Tammy
  • tamcrit
    Options
    That is awesome! My boyfriend has run a marathon and a relay marathon and I'm hoping that we can run one together someday! Your post gave me the confidence that if I take it slow and start out with a 5K I can eventually work my way up! Thanks!!!

Yes, you can!! Start off slow, build up a little at a time...baby steps...each week a little bit farther...and you can get there. Trust me, I surprised myself!! You will do it!!
  • tamcrit
    Options
    That is GREAT! I just registered for the Phila Distance Run (1/2 marathon) which is in September! You are an inspiration!!!

Thank you!! Way to go!! You can do it!!
  • pammilou
    pammilou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome and inspirational! Thank you for sharing :)
  • legend1973
    Options
    You rock kiddo, be proud!!!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! You are a true inspiration!
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Wow, great job! I did C25k a year ago as well and ran a my first 5k last spring. I wish then that I had continued with training and gone ahead and scheduled a 10k. I'm starting over again with Warrior Dash this spring and will definately sign up for a 10k in the fall. My ultimate goal is a half marathon.

Have you heard/seen the documentary for Hood to Coast? It is the largest relay race in North America as it stretches 197 miles from Mt Hood OR to the Pacific Ocean in Seaside OR. I heard it is an awesome film!

Thanks for the motivation,
    from another 40 something mom :)
  • etroupe
    Options
    Wow!! way to go! I have only completed two 5k's so far but I will get there!! I have a 5k event this April with friends, looking forward to it. Just haven't got up the confidence yet to takle a 10k Lol!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!