Shocked at the amount of calories in food

Replies

• Its just shocking to me how badly I ate before. I really didn't assume it was THAT bad. For example, I knew that eating Papa Johns pizza regularly wasn't good. I knew what we ordered was definitely not good. But 400+ calories a slice (I've looked it up)? I NEVER would have thought. Then think I was eating easily 3 slices, with the butter and usually a good bottle of wine.... I ate EASILY what I eat in a full day now in about 30 minutes.

When things like this hit me I alway think "OMG! No wonder I had over 80 lbs to lose!"

What was I thinking? I'll never know.

Yes though - salads are the sneaky little a-holes that pop in from restaurants for like 1500 calories. Really salad?! WTH?

I started working on changing my eating habits at the start of the year, but decided to look up what I ate for our Christmas Luncheon, just for the lunch I was around 4,000 calories, that didn't count breakfast & dinner that night :D
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    That's the thing, once you start eating within your calories, you then learn what you can eat, because you don't want to blow your budget on breakfast right? or you might be over your budget so you have to work your butt off that night...another thing you're going to be aware of is what everyone else is eating. I watch my fiance down a big mac and XL pop, I keep thinking "that's my calorie budget for a day and a half"...the epiphanies will keep mounting, the biggest thing is don't get overwhelmed...spend most of your budget of fruit and veggies and you'll be eating all day lol
  • Its just shocking to me how badly I ate before. I really didn't assume it was THAT bad. For example, I knew that eating Papa Johns pizza regularly wasn't good. I knew what we ordered was definitely not good. But 400+ calories a slice (I've looked it up)? I NEVER would have thought. Then think I was eating easily 3 slices, with the butter and usually a good bottle of wine.... I ate EASILY what I eat in a full day now in about 30 minutes.

When things like this hit me I alway think "OMG! No wonder I had over 80 lbs to lose!"

What was I thinking? I'll never know.

Yes though - salads are the sneaky little a-holes that pop in from restaurants for like 1500 calories. Really salad?! WTH?

I started working on changing my eating habits at the start of the year, but decided to look up what I ate for our Christmas Luncheon, just for the lunch I was around 4,000 calories, that didn't count breakfast & dinner that night :D

This is a habit of mine now. I love calculating how much bad meals are. Like estimating calories on a chicken wing competition on Man Vs. Food. Or when I calculated the guy on the TV show "Heavy"'s calorie for his 6 junior bacon cheeseburgers and 3 orders of nuggets. I can't help it.

Every time I think of something horrible I used to eat (read above pizza but from dominos with a lava cake - yikes!) I have to figure it out. lol
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    I "translated" some food calories to my colleague in terms of "units of exercise"...

She was in for a shock when she realised the 5 chocolate biscuits she just scoffed with her coffee would take a 3 mile run to burn off... She can't run as far as the photocopier... :laugh:
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    You know what is really bad, I have been off and on diets my entire life, we are talking since age 8, so I knew good and well what I was doing to myself yet I still did it. How sick is that? Not caring enough about myself to get past myself...hmmmppphhh
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    I always tell people who are overwhelmed at the thought of trying to lose weight, exercise, track cals, etc. to just start out by tracking everything you eat for a couple weeks. It is truly shocking isn't it?

Welcome to MFP..and remember that you can always find healthier versions of just about everything you love that is bad for you!

If you can find me a healthy version of Fritos Chili Cheese chips I'll be soooo impressed and eternally grateful.
  • girl_brett
    girl_brett Posts: 166 Member
    Yes I have also been shocked at sodium...I can't think of what it was, but it was like over 3,000 mg of sodium! My mouth hit the floor! That's a big part of the weight loss process...getting a grip on the basics!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    I never tracked to see how many calories I was eating before, but by looking at my food diaries the past week I can tell you that it wasn't healthy!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Ever since I joined MFP, I am TERRIFIED of ever ordering salads anywhere! They are the most deceptive food to order at restaurants. I always get the dressing on the side and avoid anything other than veggies/protein in them unless I know what the calorie content of that evil little crouton is before I eat it!

Lol!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    Oh my goodness - lemonade was the big one for me. I never used to drink water and I drank a TON of lemonade - regular and "lite" lemonade. I thought it was good because I was still getting my fluids... until I realized I was using 500+ calories and at least that many mg of sodium on LEMONADE every day - and it isn't even real food! I gave it up completely and am now a wateraholic. :)
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    I always tell people who are overwhelmed at the thought of trying to lose weight, exercise, track cals, etc. to just start out by tracking everything you eat for a couple weeks. It is truly shocking isn't it?

Welcome to MFP..and remember that you can always find healthier versions of just about everything you love that is bad for you!

If you can find me a healthy version of Fritos Chili Cheese chips I'll be soooo impressed and eternally grateful.

Funniest thing EVER!
  • JeanK56
    JeanK56 Posts: 76
    You know what is really bad, I have been off and on diets my entire life, we are talking since age 8, so I knew good and well what I was doing to myself yet I still did it. How sick is that? Not caring enough about myself to get past myself...hmmmppphhh

We are all here for the same reasons, whether we have been on diets our entire life or not. I was thin through high school and even when I had by first 2 sons...But by the time I had the third, forget it. I knew what I was doing as well, but for whatever reason we did this. It is never too late to educate ourselves and correct the not so good things in our lives, as we are all doing by being here now.

I am finding this site much better than previous program I was on that counted points. Not throwing stones at that program, but I NEVER looked at my calories, just points. There's a difference, in my opinion, in counting calories and counting points.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    I was totally shocked by how many calories were in pasta. I knew carbs were high but never realized how high the calories were. Of course my favorite food 'was' mac and cheese

I agree. I've been counting for a long time but seldom eat pasta anymore. I wanted just plain macaroni last night and couldn't beleive that 1/2 cup was about 200 calories!!! That's crazy. Don't even want to think about what it is for mac-n-cheese.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I was totally shocked by how many calories were in pasta. I knew carbs were high but never realized how high the calories were. Of course my favorite food 'was' mac and cheese

I agree. I've been counting for a long time but seldom eat pasta anymore. I wanted just plain macaroni last night and couldn't beleive that 1/2 cup was about 200 calories!!! That's crazy. Don't even want to think about what it is for mac-n-cheese.

Yep, the minute I calculated it, I was horrified...i like pasta...I know you're can have it in small doses, but it's really not that good calorie wise...i had a scootch of depression lol...I don't feel like i'm deprived, but COME ON!
  • I was totally shocked by how many calories were in pasta. I knew carbs were high but never realized how high the calories were. Of course my favorite food 'was' mac and cheese

Yep, the minute I calculated it, I was horrified...i like pasta...I know you're can have it in small doses, but it's really not that good calorie wise...i had a scootch of depression lol...I don't feel like i'm deprived, but COME ON!

My favorite was and still is Mac-n-cheese, I could (and use to) eat it all the time, late at night (10pm) after class. Now I still eat it about once a week, but I plan it in on a good work out night!! lol And never after class!! lol
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    The most shocking individual item for me was a Cranberry/Orange scone at either Starbucks or Panera Bread. I mean these little, plain looking cakes seem so benign. They are delicious, but just loaded with calories (about 500) and sugar. I mean it's not like having a piece of iced chocolate cake or something? But calorie wise, it's probably worse!

Yes, MFP is the greatest tool because you are really educating yourself about your particular "hidden diet horrors." Be it salads, scones or orange juice and milk (check out the hidden sugar grams in milk and fruit), it becomes apparent and real to YOU!

Just love MFP!
  • ms_april
    ms_april Posts: 21 Member
    There are a couple restaurants I wont even step foot in anymore now that I look up calories before I eat out. For instance at the Cheesecake Factory even the "weight management" salads and the grilled mahi (the lightest fish on the menu) have over 500 calories and thats before dressing or sides. I guess when the name of the place is Cheesecake Factory it shouldn't come as a surprise.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    I was never shocked at the calories in any food, I knew how many calories were in what I was eating but I didn't care. I had lost all hope for a better life but that has ALL changed! The longer you keep at in, the easier it will become to just know how many calories are in certain foods. I have been dieting since I was 10 so it's second nature to me. Good luck!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    what really got me when I started tracking it (again) is how many calories ONE SERVING is when you eat at restaurants. Something I thought would be 500-600 calories would have like 1,200 in it. And that was supposed to be for ONE PERSON! When you think about it, it makes sense that so many of us (especially Americans like me) are fat. If 3,500 calories adds up to one pound and you're consistently eating 1,200 calories for just one of your meals a day, you're going to gain weight. The good news is, the stuff that's good for you (i.e. fruits & veggies) is naturally low in calories, sugar, etc.
  • There are a couple restaurants I wont even step foot in anymore now that I look up calories before I eat out. For instance at the Cheesecake Factory even the "weight management" salads and the grilled mahi (the lightest fish on the menu) have over 500 calories and thats before dressing or sides. I guess when the name of the place is Cheesecake Factory it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Cheesecake factory.... Sigh... I've got 2 coupons for free slices of their cheesecake to boot :D
This discussion has been closed.