Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Does anyone know one that is better than another? Any recommendations? I'm going to look into getting one this weekend, and I want one that perhaps you guys all use and can tell me is good or not. Just want to be sure it has good ratings, and who better to ask than you!

Replies

• InsatiateHope
    Options
    I have a very basic wristband type HRM by Sportline, and it allows me to get accurate heart-rate readings during my workouts; I just make sure and press my finger to the sensor to adjust the rate every five minutes or so. I set it to measure calories burned and It seems to correlate well to the MFP exercise calorie estimates. The only benefit I can see in the chest-trap models is that you don't have to remember to "refresh" your heartrate as you move thru various levels of effort, but this has become second nature to me with my wrist monitor. Hope that helps!
  • BeesKnees123
    Options
    I like Polar. I also looked for one with a stop-watch, watch function.
  • karengault
    Options
    I love my POLAR, which not only give heart rate, but also ranges, and total calories burned - which is the best! If you work out with other folks using a monitor, i also suggest getting the one that has it's own zone - a little more money but well worth it!
  • MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys. I appreciate the feedback
  • doddsy_au
    Options
    I have a Polar F55 which is still going strong after about 4 years. It has an accurate HR monitor instead of the wrist types which can only measure the pulse rate.

I recently purchased a F4 for $18 that had never been used off ebay for the missus and all it needed was a new battery and she is very happy with it as it is smaller and "more girly" as she puts it.

These HR monitors have been supersceeded by the FT4 which you can purchase online for about $100 - $120.

Cheers

Peter

(Note these prices are in AUD but there really isn't any difference between AUD and USD these days)
  • bubblybabeuk
    bubblybabeuk Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Costco has a body media for 149.99 its the same as the body bugg they use on biggest loser. I just got it and I love it. Very easy to use and set up.
  • seachelle
    seachelle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar heart Rate monitor with chest strap for 5 years. Still working great. I also have a BodyBugg I purchased last year. I like them both. The heart Rate monitor I would only use to monitor my workouts. Where the BodyBugg I wear all the time. So if you don't have the money to spend I would suggest a good heart Rate Monitor. If you have the funds the BodyBugg or Body media are great!
  • brittybee23
    brittybee23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    New Balance from Target with a chest strap! Love it!!!
  • feenixgate
    Options
    Polar!! works on nearly all exerise machines. I've used the company for years.
  • qtwells82
    qtwells82 Posts: 352
    Options
    Bump
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar monittor with the chest strap from Best Buy. It was around $90. I love it.

1504585.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My heart rate monitor (Polar) has the watch and the strap. It saves the information such as time/average heart rate and calories burned (based on the data you input). It also let's me know whne I am within my HR zone. Great tool when you are trying to custimize workouts to post on myfitnesspal. You know hoe many calories you burn when you use an excersize tape and store that info for future use.