A Rather Interesting Theoretical Question

Options
I was just thinking: Considering that burning approximately 3,500 calories is allegedly the equivalent of losing a pound, is it possible for there to exist a food so calorie-dense that less than a pound of that food could deliver 3,500 calories?

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, as the law of conservation of matter simply wouldn't allow for it (you can't get a pound of matter out of less than a pound of matter no matter (haha) how many calories are involved). But I thought it was an interesting question anyway.

Replies

• crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! You made my head explode!! LOL!!

Let us know when you get an answer!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if the Blooming Onion from Outback could come close to that.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Kind of brings to mind the old joke about how can a one-pound box of chocolate make me gain 5 pounds.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I am sure there are some things that hold that many calories, but, I am pretty sure they aren't food. What about lard? Calorie-dense...not food.

My first thought was onion rings...maybe not 3500, but, onion rings are very high in calories.

Okay, so, there was my hypothetical answer to your question that wasn't a question, lol
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I thought fast food places make a decent attempt at getting close to 3,500 calories from less than a pound of "food" :laugh:
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if the Blooming Onion from Outback could come close to that.

Ah, great minds! I was thinking onion rings from Cheeburger, Cheeburger (the absolute BEST onion rings in the world)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Since it's all theoretical, it would take less than a pound of pure fat to equal 3500 calories. And culturally, there are areas in the world that could consider pure fat as an actual food source.
  • exercisesucks
    Options
    I was just thinking: Considering that burning approximately 3,500 calories is allegedly the equivalent of losing a pound, is it possible for there to exist a food so calorie-dense that less than a pound of that food could deliver 3,500 calories?

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, as the law of conservation of matter simply wouldn't allow for it (you can't get a pound of matter out of less than a pound of matter no matter (haha) how many calories are involved). But I thought it was an interesting question anyway.

Most survival kits include 3500 calorie food bars for emergency food. If you dont break them in half they weigh less than a pound.
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    A single item of food? no. But a number of different foods all combined yes! solved! :D
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Not only is it possable I've done it. You can get a days worth of food in one pound for hiking, but 4000 into 24oz is a lot easier
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Specifically 1 lb of FAT is equal to 3500 calories (roughly). 1 lb of protein is like 1600 calories or something like that. I forget exactly, I would have to go look it up. But to answer your question, yes and no. Since we don't store fat in it's native state, rather our bodies churn it up in the liver and then it's deposited in fat cells after a some what round about route around the blood stream before it's deposited (and vice versa generally) the body can add to the fat, and subtract from the fat at various times, breaking chemical bonds for energy, creating new molecules for transport or storage...etc. Water, oxygen, and various other chemicals are all used, so theoretically it is possible to eat a pound of fat and store more than a pound of fat, but that's unlikely in the extreme as our bodies burn fat all the time (to one degree or another)