calories burned????

petey49
petey49 Posts: 58 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Just found my old HRM that does not calculate calories burned. Worked out on the elliptical and kept the HR at 150 for 30 minutes.

The machine says I burned 334 calories. MFP says I burned 294 calories. One on-line calculator says I burned 500 calories. Another calculator says I burned 421 calories.

I found this formula at Livestrong.com C=[(0.4472XHR + 0.05741xW + 0.074XA - 20.4022) x time] /4.184

It says I burned 299.7 calories (the math folks can work backwards to figure out my details (LOL)).

I tend to think the formula is most accurate. What do you think?

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Personally, I use the machine, which is based on my weight input, to track the calories I burn at the resistance level that I'm doing it for. I also do use LiveStrong. I've been using it mostly to track all of my calories for my weight loss goals.

If you look at the figures for what the LS formula calculates out to, the machine, and MFP, they're all relatively around the same amount of calories burned, which is about 300. It's ultimately up to you for which one you decide to use, just make sure that you consistently use that same method for tracking exercise for an accurate count for your calories. For example, at the highest resistance level, for 30 minutes, my machine says I burn about 1000 calories. Whether it's viably accurate or not, I've been relying on it to track how much exercise I do, and so far, I've been losing the weight at about the correct rate.
  • petey49
    petey49 Posts: 58 Member
    Thank you. I appreciate your inut. As you say the machine, MFP and the formula are relatively close. As I don't always use a machine I think I will stick to the formula for consistancy sake.
This discussion has been closed.