2 Week's in and still confused about counting calories.

Options
Hi. I've been using this app on my phone for just over 2 weeks now but i'm still confused about the calorie counting.
With the details i've put in (eg weight, height, age plus the amount of weight I would like to lose) I am allowed 1360 calories per day, no problem there.
It's when I train and put in the amount of calories i've burnt in the gym (any thing between 700 and 1040) that I don't quite understand how many calories I can eat that day, do I stick with the 1360 or include the calories i've burnt in the gym that day.
This is probably a daft question but any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    It's not a daft question -- it gets asked a lot. I asked it myself when I first got here.

Yes, you should eat them, or at least most of them. You need to be sure that you NET at least 1200 a day. if you're burning that many, you definitely need to eat them.
  • PJHENNE56
    PJHENNE56 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow that was quick. !!!!
    Thank's for getting back to me fast.
    I'll adjust my calorie in take from now on.
    Thank's again.
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    If you're burning that number of calories, I would be eating back the majority of them (burn 700, eat back 500, 1000, eat back 800 or so.) You don't want to be in too large of a calorie deficit - if you're alotted 1360 and you burn 1000, it's like you really only ate 360 calories for the entire day. That's not good.

That's what MFP is for, so don't ever feel silly asking questions. Someone on here will know the answers!
  • nabrown382
    Options
    definitely eat them. otherwise, your body could switch into 'starvation mode', which would prevent you from achieving consistent, healthy weight loss. just go with the updated calorie # that shows up on your home screen. MFP recalculates for you to make things easy throughout the day.
  • PJHENNE56
    PJHENNE56 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank's for all the reply's and advice i've received so far.
    In the 1st week I lost 2 lbs but in the 2nd week I put 1 lb back on, I thought that was due to the fact I was eating all the calories (1360 plus gym calories) each day, I was all ways under the total amount by about 60 to 200 but it just seemed a lot of food to be eating while trying to lose weight.
    Well at least I know where i've been going wrong so far.
    Thank's again.