too much protein?

Options
I am just starting out on this site. I have been at it for 5 days. I am doing really good at not going over my calories, fat and carbs but I am almost always 6-15 over on my protein. Is that going to make it harder for me to lose weight? What can I do to reduce my protein count if it is going to hurt my weight loss chances. Thank you!

Replies

• markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hi ChaneyJo:

I wouldn't worry about being over on protein. I'm invariably over and so far, I've dropped 5 lbs and on the way to 95 more.

I had the same question and the consensus seems to be that as long as total calories stay green you should be fine. Personally, I would rather be over on protein that carbs because protein is harder for the body to break down.

Best,
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I think the protein is set too low on here. My husband's nutritionist says that we need 60-100 g of protein daily. Besides that, protein keeps you fuller longer. Don't worry about it.
  • Judykv95
    Options
    If you are usig the default setting for protien it is set really low. I try to get in 150 protein grams a day because of my weight and the amount of exercise I do.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Well, as you're just starting out, I'm not sure if you're aware that any exercise you track, will increase the amount of calories/fat/carbs/protein/sodium/etc. you should be having. So, if you feel you went over a specific category, exercise usually will put those excess grams to use. As a reward, you get to eat a little bit more since you should be eating back your exercise calories too.

Either way, I'm consistently over my protein intake. I have been for about a year without any bad results. It helps with muscle repair for when you're working out.
  • jreilly001
    Options
    :wink:
    I have asked the same question at another site where I belong. The answer I got based on lots of past research is if working out then eat .8-1 gram of protein per # of lean body mass. Based on a body fat test I had this calculates to around 160 grams of protein. I am way over this sites recommendation. I am proceeding non the less because protein satisfies hunger which I need. Also my heavy protein times are an hour before and an hour after working out in the AM.

I actually take a protein powder and supercharge it with cottage cheese and yogurt after lifting.

I feel great and I have energy at my next workout.
  • ChaneyJo
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! That helped alot!