oatmeal

Options
Hi!
I'm not crazy about plain oatmeal, and I don't like syrup or honey. How can I make it better?
I had gotten the apple cinnamon instant in the past but I'm trying to forgo the instant or pre-made anything.
Any ideas?

Replies

• jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    When my bananas start to brown at home I freeze them then in the morning with my plain oatmeal I stick the whole banana in the microwave for about a min. Then let it sit while i nuke the oatmeal. When thats finished I peel the banana and let in fall in the bowl then chop/mash it up. The natural sweetness from the banana is perfect.
  • brandi16
    Options
    I add just plain cinnamon with a bit of splenda...
  • holly0623
    Options
    I add cinnamon too ! It makes it soo good! I add a little bit of of splenda also
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    Do you like Peanut Butter?? I recently discovered Peanut Butter Oatmeal and I'm in LOVE. I make the oatmeal with honey (you can also use splenda which is equally good), I put raisins in it and water, of course. I nuke it, then put a Tbsp of peanut butter with a splash or two of soy milk and it is wonderful! (In my opinion =)
  • BakingGranny
    BakingGranny Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I like to add just a bit of butter and a pkt of splenda. It is so yummy.
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I add vanilla almond milk cause its a sweet 90 calories in a cup I only use half if that though :wink:
  • evandmegsmom
    evandmegsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Frozen berries mixed in before you cook your oatmeal add a nice amount of sweetness, too. To "acquire" a taste for oatmeal (I used to HATE it), I used to add not-so-much water and make it the consistency of oatmeal cookie dough. I also added Splenda, but after a time didn't even need it. And now I'm addicted to oatmeal with berries and walnuts. No sweetener. It's what gets me out of bed in the morning. :o)

1313360.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Slighty over ripe banana in steel cut oatmeal. The sweetness of the ripe bananas helps add flavor to an otherwise bland food like oatmeal.
  • coypelican
    Options
    Do you like Peanut Butter?? I recently discovered Peanut Butter Oatmeal and I'm in LOVE. I make the oatmeal with honey (you can also use splenda which is equally good), I put raisins in it and water, of course. I nuke it, then put a Tbsp of peanut butter with a splash or two of soy milk and it is wonderful! (In my opinion =)
    Sounds yummy!:happy:
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I use spenda brown sugar cause I have to have brown sugar in my oatmeal. I don't buy the single packs though. The original cook for 5 minutes, plain is what I buy.
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You can put pretty much anything in oatmeal to change it, but I find after so many days of doing that, it's still JUST oatmeal. Why not try switching it up for different hot cereals like red river, cornmeal, millet or creamed wheat?
    My latest addiction is actually steel cut oats rather than the everyday rolled oats. Yes, it takes longer to cook it but it's so worth it. It's less processed and full of goodness, plus I find it has a bit of a sweeter taste than regular oatmeal. I don't put any sweeteners in it at all, just a small hand full of blueberries. yummy...
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Toppin' ideas: Cinnamon, raisins, splash of diary, slice bananas, apples, brown sugar, peanut butter, few chocolate chips, strawberries, blueberries...Just depends what you like I guess...best wishes xo
  • coypelican
    Options
    I used whole oatmeal and put it in the microwave for about 1 min. 45 sec. Then add a little milk, cinn. and brown sugar, and some chopped walnuts, or splenda in place of the brown sugar.
  • JESSICAPEMPSELL
    Options
    Sounds good.. I'll have to try that. Thanks
  • ms_april
    ms_april Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    frozen fruit. You can get fruit mixes (berry blends or strawberries and peaches) or single types of fruit in the freezer section. They keep a long time and you can just add it to your oats before you microwave them. Blueberries turn it a very pretty color imho.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    You can add unsweetened applesauce (or sweetened) and some cinnamon. Tastes great. I usually use the sweetened applesauce.
  • jenkramer
    jenkramer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats are way more delicious! I completely agree. Fresh fruit does this trick. To avoid having to slave over the stove to cook them in the morning, I make a bigger batch and freeze a few portions! Makes all the difference when I can just throw it in the microwave.
  • dixiefreebird
    dixiefreebird Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    you can dice you up an apple and add a sprinkle of cinnamon in the plain cooked oatmeal too. I do it and I add it about 60 seconds before adding the oatmeal so the apple pieces are a bit crunchy still. A small apple only adds 50 calories

Carola
  • noraht
    noraht Posts: 21
    Options
    yummmmm! Steel cut oats for me too and I put mine in the slow cooker at night, turn it on low when I go to bed and in the am it is ready to eat. Add what ever goodies you want at the same time as you turn on the slow cooker. google slow cooker steel cut oats for the exact measurements of liquid to oats.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Add applesauce and cinnamon.