Recommended Daily Sodium Intake

Options
I am new at this and was wondering what other people use as a guide for daily sodium intake.

MFP gives you 2500 but according to what I see on the internet the guidelines have now lowered the recommended intake to 1500,

What do you think?

Replies

• jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    The updated RDA is 2300. 1500 would be a minimum
  • klthomas59
    klthomas59 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my sodium to less than 2000.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I find it really hard to eat low in sodium when also eating low in calories, because when they remove the unhealthy fats and carbs in food, to make it taste better they also add a lot of extra salt.

myfitnesspal is very generous in its 2500mg allotment, but I too have read that the recommended daily sodium intake has been lowered to 1500. My advice is to make sure that you are always under the 2500mg level. Also, I have read in Nutrition Info magazine that your sodium intake should equal your calorie numbers. So, 1200 calories would allow you 1200mg of salt.

I hope I helped!
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    Doc told me I was pre-diabetic and to try to keep it closer to 1000. I think it depends too if there is any hypertension or heart disease or diabetes in your family.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    The updated RDA is 2300. 1500 would be a minimum for healthy individuals without hypertension or other issues. Still keep it on the lower end closer to 1500
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    MFP's sodium target of 2,500mg is dangerously high (same for cholesterol) and their fiber target is dreadfully low. I changed my maximum sodium to 2,000mg but I try very hard to stay as far under that as possible. I increased my fiber goal to 30g and lowered my cholesterol to 280mg. No more egg yolks!

You can change all of your nutrition targets by going to My Home>>Goals>>Change Goals>>Custom, save your changes.
  • SweatinSammie
    Options
    I love the sodium question!!! I work in the health care field and people have NO idea how much sodium they're eating. 1500 is a great goal because honestly, most people cannot make it. If you can keep your sodium around 1700 - 2000 a day, you're doing better than most :)
  • valbar61
    valbar61 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the comments!
  • Brennabean
    Brennabean Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    my family has to do a low sodium thing for my step dad and the only thing to really get the low sodium AND low calories fat etc is to just make stuff yourself. which sometimes goes bad and sometimes goes great :) like the other night we made organic low calorie low fat low sodium ice cream :) takes a little bit to adjust to low sodium food but your taste buds will adjust. boot camp will be rough after this they COAT food in salt haha
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I set my sodium target to 1600. My blood pressure is nice and low, but I retain water easily.

I agree with the previous poster who said MFP's fiber goal is way too low.
  • valbar61
    valbar61 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I set my sodium target to 1600. My blood pressure is nice and low, but I retain water easily.

I agree with the previous poster who said MFP's fiber goal is way too low.

Water retention is my problem too. I am going to try my best to lower the sodium intake and see what happens. Thanks!