Such a BIG difference?

loria30
loria30 Posts: 263 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I just finished using my elliptical trainer and I used my HRM to calculate my calories. After 30 minutes the HRM said I had burned 166 calories (I'm about 166 lbs right now). Both the machine and MFP calculations for 30 minutes are for well over 300 calories (they are both very close and the machine doesn't ask for my current weight). I was in my target HR zone for over 16 minutes of the 30 minutes.

I didn't feel completely winded or anything like that, so I'm thinking maybe my HRM was closer to being correct, but I just find it strange that the machine and MFP were so close.

Replies

• karamae
    karamae Posts: 136 Member
    I had the exact same problem tonight! MUCH lower than what the elliptical or MFP said. Go with the HRM. If anything, you're just losing more weight by not putting in the cals, right?
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    I get that all the time now. I didn't when I was heavier, but now that I'm closer to my target weight, and very fit, I end up with over a 100 cals less than the elliptical shows.

One thing you might need to do is check your settings on the HRM. I just readjusted mine for the new weight and had it do a new fitness test. It changed my calories burned, as a result, because the new test has me at a higher level of fitness than the last test had me on (a month ago).
  • loria30
    loria30 Posts: 263 Member
    I just got it this weekend, so unless I lost 3 more pounds in 3 days, it should be pretty accurate. :happy:
This discussion has been closed.