What is the difference between rice and soy milk?

Options
And is one healthier than the other?

Replies

• krawls33
    krawls33 Posts: 58
    Options
    And is one healthier than the other?
  • georgiaj
    georgiaj Posts: 59
    Options
    I could be wrong but I think soy is supposed to give you more energy.. but I'm not too sure maybe you should try both and see how your body responds to them and take the one that works best for you.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Rice Milk
    Rice milk is not as thick as soy or dairy milks, and has a somewhat translucent consistency. Because it is slightly sweet, rice milk works well in dessert recipes and is not suited for savory or salty dishes, such as mashed potatoes. Compared to soy and almond milk, rice milk has less protein.

Soy milk
    The good news is, soy milk is healthy, cheap, and easy to find and use. The bad news is...well, there really is no bad news! From a nutritional perspective, soy milk has almost as much protein as dairy milk, less fat, no cholesterol, and, since most soy milks are fortified, is a comparable source of calcium. Vegans should make sure to find a brand that is fortified with Vitamin B12.

Each brand of soy milk is slightly different, so try a couple and see which one suits your taste buds best. Soy milk is increasingly popular, and many grocery chains, such as Trader Joes, Whole Foods and Safeway make their own brand in a variety of flavors. I recommend trying Silk brand unflavored soy milk to start, though the chocolate flavor is an incredibly tasty treat.
  • krawls33
    Options
    thanks I hear bad things about soy and now by doing a little research they are saying bad things about rice milk also. You can't win for losing. The sights are are saying polyunsturated is not good for you and rice milk contains that.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Polyunsaturated fats can have a beneficial effect on your health when consumed in moderation and when used to replace saturated fats or trans fats. Polyunsaturated fats can help reduce the cholesterol levels in your blood and lower your risk of heart disease.
    They also include essential fats that your body needs but can’t produce itself – such as omega-6 and omega-3. You must get essential fats through food.

Omega-6 and omega-3 play a crucial role in brain function and in the normal growth and development of your body.
  • krawls33
    Options
    Wow great information. I really appreciate it.:smile: