Healthy caloric intake

Options
im going on a 1200 calorie a day diet. I am a 19 year old female and weigh 203 lbs. Any suggestions on a healthy coloric intake for healthy weight loss.

Replies

• Ddavis1967
    Ddavis1967 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Did you use the tools here to calculate your BMR and recommended intake? You should lose no more than 2 lbs per week. Good luck!
  • OperaticAnnihilator
    Options
    It tells me that I need 1700 calories. But that seems like so many calories I'm scared that nothing will come out of my diet and exercise if I eat that much.
  • lalamcneil
    Options
    i totally understand about the fear of eating to much and thinking thats a bad thing.....BUT i have proven to myself this past month that it pays to get as close to you reccommened caloric intake and exercise.....i am overweight because i barely ate 1 meal a day so my body would just hold onto it....eat your calories at least 1200 and do your exercises and you will be okay
  • OperaticAnnihilator
    Options
    It feels as if I'm cheating myself bc I can't do 1200 calories. Should I be at 1200 or 1700?
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    i would eat whatever MFP has recommended, and when you exercise I would eat most of the exercise calories you burn back! MFP sets up your calorie intake to lose without working out. Those calories are what your body needs to function, all while still losing whatever goal you set up. NOT eating enough could throw your body into "starvation mode" and will slow your metabolism to protect itself, then you really won't lose any weight.

Hope that makes sense!
  • mama2healthy
    Options
    You are not cheating if you have 1200 calories a day and you burn 300 calories with exercise that means you have to eat 1500 calories a day or close to it. If you dont eat your exercise calories you might put your body in starvation mode so then you wont lose any weight at all. Just research a little and you will be fine.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I am at approximately 1700 calories a day and I am losing weight. Many days I get another 300-400 calories for exercise and am eating 1900-2100 calories, and am still losing. I think at your weight 1200 calories a day is too low to maintain a steady, healthy weight loss.
  • madmand0802
    madmand0802 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What I found helped me understand exactly why MFP recommended my target was to fill in my food diary with foods I would of normally eaten..... I was so shocked to discover that there was a difference of 1100 calories per day .. I am new to MFP only starting on Sunday but I do not lose sleep if my calories are out by 30 or 40 ... remember the tale of the tortoise and the hare slow and steady wins the race! I think with any healthy eating plan you need to give it at least a month and then re-*kitten* if it's right for you.
  • OperaticAnnihilator
    Options
    I am rating back my exercise calories which usually makes my total calories around 1500. So is that good?