How much activity does the calculation include...? What coun

Options
If someone puts in that they have a desk job, I wouldn't think that the calculation is made assuming that they sit at the desk at all waking hours, immediately to teleport to bed afterwards. I would assume it takes in to account walking to the car, walking to the bathroom, getting up to answer the phone...that sort of thing.

That being said I see things in the exercise database like cleaning. Cleaning definitely works your muscles some, but I hope everybody cleans sometimes! Unless you are a maid and clean 8 hours a day, I don't see how this is something you can put into exercise, just like I am not putting that I walk for 15 minutes a day since the bathroom is a 3 minute walk from my desk each way...

But I don't know.

Should I really put in every bit of exercise I do, aside from talking with my hands and being one of those people that taps their foot when they're nervous?

I entered my walk from the car to work. It's a good 10 minutes each way, and I walk down the stairs at the end (we're on the seventh floor). But then I felt like such a cheater.

I only feel like intentional and/ or clear exercise, whether it be a class at the gym, walking the dog, going dancing, etc., should be entered.

I guess to make a long story short-- does the calculation include "lifestyle " calories? (i.e. those that just about everyone not bed ridden should burn in a day)

Replies

• Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    When it says cleaning, it is meaning not everyday cleaning. Like if ur cleaning for an hour or more vacuuming, doing laundry, mopping, sweeping, scrubbing I would count it bc u break a sweat u don't usually break everyday. If it is less than an hour then I don't count it. It has to be vigorous enough.
  • Mkserpa
    Mkserpa Posts: 136
    Options
    I, personally, do not count those daily calories I burn. If I intentionally exercise or do something outside my normal routine I will count it. Otherwise I would assume it's something your body is used to already.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i believe it is just your BMR, go to tools and check what your BMR is.

exercise is exercise - 10 minutes here or there still counts. if you had a heart rate monitor (or took your heart rate before and after) you will see the rate elevate after the exercise.

as far as cleaning goes, i have worn my HRM during and was pretty surprised how many calories i was burning.
  • jmo325
    jmo325 Posts: 57
    Options
    I don't enter anything unless it's over 30 minutes of activity. Your body needs to be at a certain heart rate for optimal calorie burn as calculates MFP. Walking to your car is definitely not a candidate for exercise, but walking around the park continuously for 30 minutes could be!