Prayers for my dad and his back

Options
My dad has had back problems for quite some time now and he's been going to the doctor but the doc just thought it was normal back pain. But after losing some weight and walking every day and biking to work almost every day, his back was getting worse. The doc finally realized this was probably something serious. He finally got an MRI and the results came in today. He has something called spondylolisthesis...I guess it's pretty much the slipping forward of a vertebra over the one below it...pretty much crushing a disc. So they might have to operate. My dad is researching chiropractors, acupuncturist, and reflexology to see if there's a more natural way to help this. Surgery is a last option for him. It's gonna be tough for everyone. He's in soooo much pain. Biking is really the only thing that doesn't hurt him. Even walking causes extreme pain. So if you guys could keep him in your prayers I'd really appreciate it :smile: Thanks everyone!

Kels

Replies

• Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My dad has had back problems for quite some time now and he's been going to the doctor but the doc just thought it was normal back pain. But after losing some weight and walking every day and biking to work almost every day, his back was getting worse. The doc finally realized this was probably something serious. He finally got an MRI and the results came in today. He has something called spondylolisthesis...I guess it's pretty much the slipping forward of a vertebra over the one below it...pretty much crushing a disc. So they might have to operate. My dad is researching chiropractors, acupuncturist, and reflexology to see if there's a more natural way to help this. Surgery is a last option for him. It's gonna be tough for everyone. He's in soooo much pain. Biking is really the only thing that doesn't hurt him. Even walking causes extreme pain. So if you guys could keep him in your prayers I'd really appreciate it :smile: Thanks everyone!

Kels
  • supersaver
    supersaver Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Kels
    I am praying for him right now. :smile:
  • SThayer
    SThayer Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I wish him the best.
  • 2Shoes
    2Shoes Posts: 396
    Options
    My dad had the same problem, had the surgery and is doing very well. I hope the same for your father!
  • christy_fl
    christy_fl Posts: 20
    Options
    Done.

You're such a good daughter to ask for those prayers!
    God bless you! :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I will definitely keep him in my prayers to recover from this and be pain-free!!

-Tami
  • NaNaBee12
    NaNaBee12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Kels! I am new here but I believe in the power in prayer and will keep your Dad in my prayers! God bless. Heather
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    **Back surgery survivor here**

I'm praying for your dad as well! My dad had back surgery -- he's doing great and feels better than he's felt in years.

I had surgery three years ago and am also feeling strong (I had a ruptured disc).

One word of advice, PLEASE leave the chiropractors out of it from this point forward. I definitely agree that conservative treatment is best (oftentimes the disc will "re-absorb" itself back to where it's supposed to be IF he takes 6 weeks of lots of rest). That didn't work for me, and the pain was excruciating, so I had the surgery.

When I ruptured my disc, I didn't realize how serious it was and tried going to a few chiropractors to see if that would help. Weeks of "adjustments" did nothing and thank God they didn't cause more damage. Now is the time to begin consulting good ortho surgeons (several of them) and taking it easy.

Just my $.02. Please feel free to PM me if you need any advice or have any questions -- it was a long road for me and I became very well versed in the subject of back surgery!
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    My mom had two back surgeries and I have to second wanderinglight, stay away from chiropractors. They did more harm than good. I am sure it really has to do with getting a "good" one as they say but you don't know until you try... and in the meantime...
    Your dad is in my prayers. Take care.