Shin Splints--braces?

Options
Ok...I've always had a problem with shin splints. They started in HS and every time I start running or any other cardio...they come back. I started Insanity a few weeks ago and the shin splints started gradually. My first thought was my shoes but they're not that old and I always wore them for running (back when I was running) so I'm thinking the shoes might be ok. However...I was wondering...has anybody tried the shin splint "brace"? I saw one the other day and debated buying it but didn't know how well they work. In HS I always had my shins taped and that worked well but I can't tape them myself b/c it's always too tight or too loose.
I also read that some people wore ankle braces which seemed to relieve the shin splints?!?!?

Any suggestions out there?

Replies

• ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Never used the braces. I get bad shin splints, even from fast walking. I do a PT exercies where you sit in a chair and extend 1 foot. Trace the alphabet with your big toe. Switch feet. I also trace the alphabet in reverse. If I do this a couple of times a day I don't get the shin splints.
  • Sheila_KI
    Sheila_KI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints on the treadmill or walking fast. Nothing on the elipitical or Zumba class. Gave up on the treadmill. I will try the alphabet trick. I have been doing stretches and exercise to strengthen. Thanks for the tip.
  • Redlebee
    Options
    Sheila_KI: Did this exercise work for you? I too get bad shin splints. I want to try running again but I'm mortified of the dang shin splints!