Working out in the AM, feeling sick

Options
Hi, I decided to work out at 6 am before my kids get up, and I love the idea that it burns more fat, since you have an empty stomach. However, I felt really sick during most of my workout. I had to stop during my peak because I felt gaggy. Does this go away? I am thinking about having like 1/4 or 1/2 of my weight loss shake that I normally have for breakfast first to help with the nausea....what do you think?

Replies

• missjboone
    missjboone Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I work out each morning at 5:30, but get up around 4:45 so I can eat a little something before I go. Usually its a protein bar or something quick and easy. Afterwards, I'll eat my 'real' breakfast when I get to work. I know how you feel, though, because I get super nauseated if I don't eat!
  • sblowes
    sblowes Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You need to eat a little first. Carbs are best, probably. It's not good to work out on an empty stomach, and you want to eat something so that your metabolism starts first thing in the morning.
  • Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You definetely need to eat, I usually have 1 cup soy milk with 1 scoop protein and 2 glasses of water.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    I work out each morning at 5:30, but get up around 4:45 so I can eat a little something before I go. Usually its a protein bar or something quick and easy. Afterwards, I'll eat my 'real' breakfast when I get to work. I know how you feel, though, because I get super nauseated if I don't eat!

Ditto - Exactly. I find that even just a banana is sufficient (potassium).
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling sick, you should definitely stop and get something in your gut. Generally, I believe you should eat something quick and easy like a banana or one slice of wheat bread/toast with peanut butter...especially if you are going to do an intense cardio workout.

I personally, get up at 4:20 - 4:30am to do my workouts, and the first time I did I had to stop to eat, then I just started having something small to get me going and give me some energy to burn, but the past couple of weeks I have been fine without anything.

Well, hope this was helpful and great job getting up extra early to get in your workouts.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    If you are going to do fasted cardio and you have long bouts of heightened heart rate you will get a lactic acid build up and it can make you nauseus. I do fasted HIIT training and I felt this way a few times before I really got in good shape. Its best to eat at least 45 minutes before if you decide not to do fasted cardio. Also when your done its best to get the rest of that protein shake in you as soon as possible to get that nutrition in the body to help you heal. Just my opinion.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I don't have any trouble working out or going for a short run on an empty stomach, in fact I prefer it.

Completey agree that you need to eat something. Make it light though if you don't have @ least an hour before you exercise. Is it possible to maybe do a weight routine in the morning and do cardio later in the day?

But I would also suggest you take a look @ what you ate the night before. There may be a correlation there too.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    I get up at 4am, and workout until 7am...I eat half a banana right away, just enough to take my vitamin pack, and it REALLY helps. It sort of kick starts your metabolism too.
  • caseynjason
    caseynjason Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks, it is good to know that others get the same way. I will try a protein bar or 1/2 my shake before I work out and maybe do my warmup and stretch while it settles a little. Thanks so much!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    You have been grossly mislead about morning empty stomach workouts. When you are glycogen depleted, like in the morning before eating, your body burns protein for fuel first! That means your muscle! That means you are slowing your metabolism! It's the same as triggering starvation mode and happens by the same protective mechanism. This will also happen after 60-90 minutes of intense exercise. That's why long distance runners, triathletes, etc.. need to taken nutrition during the event. It's not just water they are taking.