New but not new

Options
Hi,

I am a real yo-yo dieter. I absolutely love food and the more fattening the better. I am not tremendously overweight. I need to lose about 25 lbs. I am constantly in a cycle where I am either dieting or either I just dont care about my weight and eat what I want when I want. The diet part comes when I have gone for a couple of months of eating what I want and it all catches up with me.

That is what happened this morning. I got up to go to church and suddenly... there was nothing in my closet that was comfortable or tasteful to wear to church. :noway:

I am sick of dieting but if I didnt I would be grossly obese because of the way I eat when I am not dieting. This cant be good for me.

I have tried it all.. atkins, sugar busters, low fat, slim fast, cabbage soup diet, diet pills.. you name it I have tried it.

I am hoping I can get some help with this websites calorie counting.

suggestions anyone?

Replies

• mollymay
    Options
    Hi,

I am a real yo-yo dieter. I absolutely love food and the more fattening the better. I am not tremendously overweight. I need to lose about 25 lbs. I am constantly in a cycle where I am either dieting or either I just dont care about my weight and eat what I want when I want. The diet part comes when I have gone for a couple of months of eating what I want and it all catches up with me.

That is what happened this morning. I got up to go to church and suddenly... there was nothing in my closet that was comfortable or tasteful to wear to church. :noway:

I am sick of dieting but if I didnt I would be grossly obese because of the way I eat when I am not dieting. This cant be good for me.

I have tried it all.. atkins, sugar busters, low fat, slim fast, cabbage soup diet, diet pills.. you name it I have tried it.

I am hoping I can get some help with this websites calorie counting.

suggestions anyone?
  • ranibauer
    Options
    You sound exactly like me! Since I was in my preteens I remember dieting. Right now I would like to lose about 30 lbs. This week I haven't logged any food because I have been busy but starting tommorow I am logging again. Even though I didn't binge or anything like that this week, I feel like I ate more because I haven't been keeping track of it. And I didn't lose any weight this week. My one piece of advice that has at least kept my weight even, not up and down, is to not use all of those fad diets. Use what works for you, and just make healthy choices and log your food. I have done all of those diets, and they did teach me a little, like what foods are better choices than others. For example if you want bread, then have it, just choose the healthiest bread you can stand, and log it. Also try and work out even if it is simply doing squats and lunges in front of your tv while watching your favorite shows. Good luck!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Welcome mollymay.

We are all here for similar reasons, and generally those reasons are that we know we need to loose some weight and choose a healthier lifestyle, but most of us don't know quite how to do that consistantly. It sounds like you (like myself and the rest of us on here) have come to the realization that there is no shortcut to becomming healthier, the fad diets may work for a month or a year, but in the end, you can't live your life on them and so they can't possibly work as well as making healthy choices for food, exercise and mental health. Personally I feel that the biggest change I have made to make my lifestyle change work (and it has, 2 months now and I am still enthusiastic and going strong for the first time in my life! All because of this site!) Is my attitude and commitment. If you change how you think about being healthy, the choices of food and exercise come easilly. That doesn't mean the process will be easy, there is still a lot of hard decisions to make, like me skipping out on the free sliders that were at our local sports pub for the Patriots/Colts game this week (woo hoo!). But that makes it all the more special when I step on the scale and see loss!

So my advice to you would be, really decide to make healthy decisions, and start an exercise schedule (it doesn't have to be intense, just something to get your heart rate up) and stick to it. Gradually, as you get used to it, you can add more, but healthy lifestyle doesn't mean starving or working yourself ragged, it just means skipping the really bad stuff, giving your body more of the good stuff, and giving your body a way to work off the bad stuff you do give it!
  • mollymay
    Options
    Thanks banks and ranibauer. browsing through this website realy drives home how lazy I have been. I used to be a member at curves and went 3 times a week every week. I changed jobs and it became very inconvienent for me make it to my workouts. I work a split shift every week. Monday and tuesday 3-11 and wed, thur, and friday 11-7. (I work at a hospital). I have been on straight nights since april and just recently added the 3-11 shifts. I am going to go to straight 3-11 with no night shifts within the next few months but they have to find someone to cover my 11-7 shifts first.

I found it extremely taxing on night shift. My body feels like it has aged and every morning when I get off at 7am its all I can do to drive home and I am so tired I go straight to bed. My body seems to require more sleep in order to function and work at night. I just know I have to get some kind of control and find a way to get some exercise in.

Starting today I will take the stairs instead of the elevator. That will be a challenge since I am so out of shape. Just those 3 flights will have me breathing heavy. But I will do it. And maby during my 15 minute breaks I will run up and down them.

I would love to get a tread mill... maby I will start pricing them and save up for one.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Mollymay,

Welcome! Stairs are great exercise; good for you!
    I agree with Banks, small changes that you can stick to. Maybe walk for 10 minutes a day during your breaks, around the hospital a few times? Maybe get a coworker to go with you if possible. Find something you enjoy -- running up and down the stairs during breaks may or may not be it.
    My weakness is dessert. What I do is plan when I can have it. I'm not completely denying myself, nor am I having it all the time. My next dessert will be Thanksgiving, when we take family to a nice restaurant.

Good luck.
  • mollymay
    Options
    marrywilldiet,
    I am soooo addicted to sweets and deserts falls right in there. Sometimes I would get cake and pie both at supper at the hospital because I couldnt decide which one I wanted. :noway:

I plan to pick up some sugar free fudge pops that are 40 calories each. I hope that will go a long way to help my dessert tooth. :)
  • banks1850
    Options
    sweets are tough Molly, but there are some good low/no cal sweets out there that can satisfy your sweet tooth without launching you over the edge.

here are a few of my favorites.

fat free sugar free pudding packs. easy, convienent, fast, and very tasty.
    Swiss Miss Sugar free coco. 60 calories and sweet craving is gone.
    Raisins (and grapes too), very low on calories, nice little sweet tooth buster.

these are just a few, there are lots out there, half of the sweet tooth craving is the mental things you associate with sweets, not the actual food. Knowing this, you can ask yourself why you are craving the sweets, sometimes that alone can eliminate the craving.

Best of luck Molly!
  • mollymay
    Options
    Now there's a thought. What do I associate with sweets? Sort of like what I associated with smoking before I quit.

I am bad about just "grazing" in general. I am going to try some baby carrots. I love crunchy stuff and they are good and will give my mouth something to do.

OHHHH!! I love grapes!!
  • banks1850
    Options
    there ya go. also try snow peas, I love raw, crunchy snow peas.
  • babsybaby
    Options
    You sound a lot like me, I swear I have tried everything out there. Then I eventually failed and went back to the Normal....sweets.........cake..........love white bread and white sugar!
    I've finally decided that I've got to knock it off. I went thru the cupboards and got rid of all the junk. I bought a lot of fiber bars, healthy treats, yogurts, and bought a big thing of fruit ( cut up ) at Costco. Now when I go grazing in the fridge. I figure that is a start compared to the cheetos and reeces peanut butter cups I've been eating. I made a smoothie tonight, that was really great. It definately cut the sweet tooth.
  • mollymay
    Options
    It is ironic you would say that babysbaby. I did the same thing. Filled my house with healthy stuff. I got "into trouble" last night. Couldnt sleep. I am a night worker mostly so that happens when I am at home not working. The trouble with that is I want to graze all night. I am not hungry, just bored. Every one is asleep so I keep things down so they can sleep. I ended up grazing last night which threw me over the calorie limit but it was healthy food. The only thing I had from the old days was a half cup of ice cream that I poured diet root beer over. Bet I could get healthier ice cream and make that a healthier snack.

I am an ex smoker and even thought I do not crave the smokes anymore my mouth does get bored. If I read, if I am on the computer, watching tv, whatever.... I am constantly wanting to eat.
  • babsybaby
    Options
    I have kind of a different schedule. I do my work on the computer late at night after my staff enters their daily info. I go to bed around 1am and get up around 9am. So I actually like to ride my stationary bike for 30 minutes around 9pm. I think it helps me not to be hungry that late. Then after I ride, I make the smoothie with yogurt, fruit and splenda and lots of ice. It's huge, but the bulk of it's water. I use the Dannon yogurt 60 calories so I do 2 to make it thicker and different fruit, under 50 calories. I get two full glasses out of it. Helps with the sweets craving. If I'm still hungry, I will do a handful of nuts.