Weight lifting calories?

Options
MFP doesn't give you credit for calories burned while weight lifting and I have no idea how to judge what may be used during that time. Typically I do 30-60 minutes of cardio then weight lift for 30 min. then abs followed by stretching so another 15 min. That would make my exercise 75-115 min. total. I am trying to eat back my calories from cardio (I haven't started losing yet just started my 2nd week). Is it possible I need to try to eat even more to make up for the calories from weight lifting?

Thanks for your help!

Holly

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    In the cardio section of MFP they have it labelled as strength training :)
  • hardybelle83
    Options
    I was surprised at how many calories I was burning during my P90X strength workouts! I just assumed I was burning very little, until I got a heart rate moniter to wear. That's really the only way you'll be able to know for sure (and even with the HRM, it's a best guess estimate really) what your calorie burn is. Make sure you look for one with a chest strap, as they are infinitely more accurate than those without.

In the meantime, however, I think that MFP has some strength-type exercises listed under the cardio menu... maybe you could find something that is similar? I know there is a circuit training one there somewhere, but I'm not sure exactly what kind of weight work you are doing so that may not be the best fit.

Also, I think it's great that you're adding in weight lifting with your cardio. So many women neglect this VERY important aspect of their exercise routine. Adding muslce to your body will help keep your metabolism running!! Way to go!
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I put it under my cardio. Try searching "Strength Training" and "Stretching" under the cardio section. I did this, and it calculates your calories.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Type strength training in the cardio portion of the exercise diary. It's in there. Then enter how many minutes. The actual strength training log is just for you to keep track of your reps. :)
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Do you have a heart rate monitor w/chest strap? What I normally do is use my HRM for my cardio. When I'm done I end that session on my hrm and then I start another session for my strength training. I created my own entry in my exercise diary under cardio for strength training - arms and strength training - legs so I can count it.
  • dnostergard
    Options
    If you enter your actual reps into the strength training portion, it will calculate it for you. If not, enter strength training in the cardio exercise section and enter the total number of minutes you were actively working.
  • CJPellerin
    Options
    I noticed that you mentioned you do cardio first. Helpful tip from my trainer friend... lift first, then weights. It will maximize your results =) Hope this helps ....
  • kristinmaravelias
    Options
    What is the difference between weight lifting and circuit training? When I lift weights I use the circuit training setting.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Also, I think it's great that you're adding in weight lifting with your cardio. So many women neglect this VERY important aspect of their exercise routine. Adding muslce to your body will help keep your metabolism running!! Way to go!

What she said! Awesome job!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    You'll find that you don't burn nearly as many calories with weight lifting as you do with cardio. It's still a good idea to log in in the cardio section under "strength training", but unless you do it with a lot of intensity, don't log the entire time. So if you lift for 30 minutes, maybe just log 20 minutes of it.

(that's if you use the estimator).
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I had no idea there was an option under cardio to add the strength training. Thank you for the help!

Holly