indian food.. what to have!?

Options
wendix
wendix Posts: 74 Member
i'm going on a work night out next week and we're going to an indian restaurant..
i hardly ever have indian takeouts or go to an indian restaurant although i like pretty much all the food.
any recommendations about what is best for you?

Replies

• quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I think tandoori chicken is supposed to be the best in terms of calories or fat. But if you like something saucy with your naan, try to get something without cream or lots of cashews :)
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    http://eatthis.menshealth.com/content/10-ways-eat-healthy-indian-restaurant

I always go with Madras, because there's no coconut milk or cream in it. Anyway, hope the link helps.
  • sexylonglegs
    Options
    Type "Indian" in the database...there is quite an extensive list for you. :)
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    Chikken Tikka to start is good and tomato based curry is a good option, try to stay away from the creamy sauces .

tandorri chicken is a good because it's dry, you could get a portion of curry to go with it then you are in control

Boiled rice is OK , much better than the alternatives but stay away from the Nann Breads
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Everyone on here is spot on. I guess it depends on if you are going for North Indian or South Indian food. If North Indian, anything from the tandoor is good. Avoid the creamy curries and go for tomato based dishes. Avoid the fried appetizers and pappads. Get some raita. Choose veggies. Avoid biriyanis (my favorite). And avoid the crazy sticky sweet desserts Indian restaurants usually offer.

If South Indian you can probably enjoy everything in moderation. You can avoid the obvious if something is fried or sticky sweet. Generally South Indian food is not as lardy as North Indian and you have a lot more vegetarian options.

Enjoy!!