Eat More to Lose More? Eeek!

Options
I joined MFP this month, because I have been losing the same seven pounds over and over for two years. I could not get below that -7 mark, and needed to try something new.

The first week I was on MFP, I set my weight loss goal at 2 lb/week, which gave me a calorie goal of 1200. And I lost 6 of my 7 perpetual pounds, easily and without feeling hungry.

In week two, I started to feel hungry, and I stopped losing weight. I notice that this coincided with approaching that *&^%#@#* plateau. ARGH!

I noticed, at the same time, that MFP told me I was no longer "losing" two pounds per week, but rather only 1.3-1.4, at 1200 calories per day. It won't let me set my intake below 1200. How, I wondered, am I supposed to break through the *&^%# plateau and lose the next ten pounds (of thirty, total, that I need to lose to make my ultimate goal)? This has been two years' worth of frustration for me.

I started reading in the forums, about eating my exercise calories (I do that, or more accurately, I exercise to burn off whatever I eat in excess of 1200 -- my normal intake is about 1500 cal/day, and I work out for about an hour to burn off the extra 300), and BMR, and starvation mode. I started to wonder, what with the slowed/stopped weight loss and the hunger, whether my body is going into starvation mode at that plateau, and that's why I'm not losing any more.

I went back into my goals and reset them for 1lb of weight loss per week. The program reset my calorie goal to 1380, which puts my calorie deficit at 500 calories rather than the 1000 it was initially, or the 850 it was as my body approached its plateau.

I am really, really nervous about this. I'm going to ADD 180 calories to my intake and lose weight? This is scary. I am worried that within a week, I'll gain back the six pounds I've lost.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? How did it work out? Is it REALLY possible to ADD calories to your intake and start losing weight again? For real? It just sounds so unlikely to me.

TIA, Jen

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    At first it seems counter-intuitive, but the fact is that your body needs a certain amount just to sustain itself. If you go into starvation mode, your metabolism slows way down to make every calorie last. Amping up your intake is good for increasing your metabolism and giving you sustained energy for day-to-day life. You'll burn energy more efficiently and allow your muscles to benefit from the exercise as well (instead of atrophy).
  • jrbb0309
    Options
    I would take a good look at what you're eating and when. Ideally, you should be eating 5 meals a day. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner. None of these should be huge meals. A snack could be a handful of natural almonds or carrots and 2 tablespoons of hummus. Then look at whether you're eating processed foods or whether you're "clean eating" - as many foods in their unprocessed state as possible. There are a lot of chemicals and crap in processed foods that will make that weight cling to you. And processed foods are often very high in sodium which will make you retain water weight.

If you're already doing the above, maybe look at how you're working out and what you could do to shake up your body, per se. The problem may not lie in what you're eating but in how you're working out and how active your metabolism is. Maybe try biking or running if you're walking, cardio if you're strength training, add something new like kickboxing or boot camp. Basically give your metabolism a kick and you might see a difference.

Hope that helps.

3574769.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you lost 6 lbs in the first week I would assume that is all (or at least most of it is) water weight. You probably haven't lost too much actual fat yet since it has only been 2 weeks. You just need to stick with it and not worry so much about the scale. Weigh yourself once a week or even once a month, and also measure your inches as that is also a good indicator of fat burning. Sometimes you will lose inches but stay the same weight. You're not going to hit that plateau in the 2nd week. You're probably feeling hungry because your body is getting used to consuming less food.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    At first it seems counter-intuitive, but the fact is that your body needs a certain amount just to sustain itself. If you go into starvation mode, your metabolism slows way down to make every calorie last. Amping up your intake is good for increasing your metabolism and giving you sustained energy for day-to-day life. You'll burn energy more efficiently and allow your muscles to benefit from the exercise as well (instead of atrophy).

I do exercise about an hour a day; isn't exercise supposed to keep your body from going into starvation mode?

It irritates me that my body would go into starvation mode at 30 pounds overweight, grumble. Stupid body. Although that 30 pounds is over my 'ideal" weight -- I only need to lose about 8 more pounds to be at a "healthy" BMI instead of overweight.
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1200 cals is not enough calories. I would aim for 1500 -1600 cals, and add exercise to your daily routine. You do not need to attend the gym. Try jogging in a spot and jumping jacks for 20 minutes. What I have started to do was do jumping jacks for 1 minute, then jogging for two minutes, and alternate between the two until the 20 minutes is finish. Afterwards, do some floor exercises like leg raises, sit ups, and chest press with weights. It is not easy, but blasting some great tunes helps. As I get better, I plan to intensive my workout and add new exercises.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Since I can't view your diary, it's hard to give you specific advice.

Assuming you are consuming at least 1200 calories, I'd have to you try to eat MORE food (volume) ... being sure you're hitting your fiber goal. Lots of clean food and plenty of water. As far as adding calories, I can't say because I don't have enough information specific to your situation.

Lacking that, this may help you determine what's right for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TrainerRobin/view/myth-or-fact-calories-in-versus-calories-out-3500-calories-one-pound-and-should-i-eat-my-exercise-calories-62012

Hope that's helpful!
  • jenbusick
    Options

Assuming you are consuming at least 1200 calories, I'd have to you try to eat MORE food (volume) ... being sure you're hitting your fiber goal. Lots of clean food and plenty of water. As far as adding calories, I can't say because I don't have enough information specific to your situation.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TrainerRobin/view/myth-or-fact-calories-in-versus-calories-out-3500-calories-one-pound-and-should-i-eat-my-exercise-calories-62012

Hope that's helpful!

Thanks, Robin. I actually eat about 1500 calories per day, and work out for an hour, which burns about 300. I have been hitting within 100 calories +/- of 1200 net calories for two weeks, with one or two misses (over, not under). I notice that, based on MFP's defaults, I eat more protein and fat and less carbohydrate than the recommendation, but not substantially so. I think this is because I Have to be careful about sugar; sugar makes me hungry, and also puts weight on me very quickly, so I avoid it as much as I can bear to. But I am not actively TRYING to do a low-carb thing.

What I am trying to find out is whether anyone else here has successfully increased their calorie intake to reduce their caloric deficit and lost weight. Because it's making me very nervous to think of adding 200 net calories to my day; I don't want to give up what ground I have gained, and I very much want to get through this 2-year plateau.
  • jenbusick
    Options

Hope that's helpful!

I read your post, and it's consistent with the information I found that led me to increase my daily net calorie goal. I'm just still really nervous about it. Add calories to lose weight is a hard thing to accept on the face of it. But I do admit I need to do SOMETHING different!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    It does work. I stalled at 1200 too. I found I do best at 1400 + half my exercise calories. You can change the ratio of carbs/protein/fat in your goals if you wish. I am using the 40% carb, 30% protein and 30% fat. When I eat processed carbs (white flour, rice, sugar) I tend to want to over indulge so I avoid those. I have some sort of protein at every meal or snack and that keeps me satisfied for hours. I am not a perfect clean eatter, but I do avoid the processed stuff, sodium and the majority of things labeled low or no fat. Yes I did gain a couple pounds when I first started, but it went away in a few days.

Good Luck!
  • jenbusick
    Options
    It does work. I stalled at 1200 too. I found I do best at 1400 + half my exercise calories. You can change the ratio of carbs/protein/fat in your goals if you wish. I am using the 40% carb, 30% protein and 30% fat. When I eat processed carbs (white flour, rice, sugar) I tend to want to over indulge so I avoid those. I have some sort of protein at every meal or snack and that keeps me satisfied for hours. I am not a perfect clean eatter, but I do avoid the processed stuff, sodium and the majority of things labeled low or no fat. Yes I did gain a couple pounds when I first started, but it went away in a few days.

Good Luck!

THANK YOU, this is what I wanted to know! Like you, I find I do better if I avoid too many simple carbs, so I tend to go with more protein/fat and fewer carbs. I'll grit my teeth for a few days and see what happens.