P90X or Insanity Workout?

Options
Hi Everyone! I am curious if anyone has any recommendations regarding the P90X or the Insanity workout series. I am considering purchasing one or the other to spice up my exercise program and have heard both are good. Are they basically the same or is one better than the other in some way? I appreciate any comments : - )

Replies

• murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hi there. They are both great workouts Insanity is geared more towards cardio while P90X has some cardio but also has weight training.
    Either one has a diet that is essential to the program. Many folks who have both combine them for a hybrid workout.
  • tgrant111
    tgrant111 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm doing/done both. P90X is great for building muscle while Insanity is more carido/fat loss focused.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Strength training from hell & a little cardio: P90X (90 days)

Cardio from hell & and some strength training: Insanity (60 days)

Which are you looking for?
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I'm doing/done both. P90X is great for building muscle while Insanity is more carido/fat loss focused.

Exactly. I would say that if you're looking for faster weight loss too, then maybe insanity. It's pretty insane, but a hard cardio workout. I'm thinking about starting a hybrid program myself since we have both DVD sets.

Also....I know the sets can be kind of expensive, and some of the DVD's we don't use (like the yoga or stretch ones), and the nutrition guide didn't help use because we are pretty decent eaters. So, you could always try to buy just a couple individual DVD's of ebay and go every other day with them. Just a thought to try to help save some money :)
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have also done both. Depending on your fitness level I would start with P90x only because Tony Horton - who is awesome - modifies all of the moves so you can work your way up. Insanity is not quite like that. They are both awesome workouts!!
    If you order either they are giving you additional DVD's right now. 2 addtional one for P90x and 1 or 2 for Insanity. Its a great deal. I am a coach with Beachbody so if you need any additional info let me know. I have some documents I can send you with more specifics about both. Good luck!!! Either way you go you will get in great shape!!
  • kiwinermal
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info everyone! I already do lots of cardio and running so I think I might lean more towards the strength training program since I am trying to incorporate more of that into my workouts. I always thought that to loose weight I should do a ton of cardio but was recently told that you can loose weight on a good strenght training/lifting program too. We'll see : - ) I love the suggestion about buying a few of the individual DVDs on ebay too. Will definitely look into that. Thanks for the tips!!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    OR a more legal alternative would be to see if your local library carries P90X.
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I would suggest 2 things - 1 buy the videos from Beachbody direct because if for any reason you hate them you can send them back and get your money back. I have done this and they were super nice taking them back. Plus you become a member of the community and get support for the product. 2 - It is not $200 to start. The DVD's are 119 but for 14 DVD's that is alot cheaper than buying them in a store. That is 8.50 a DVD. The only equipment you need is a pull up bar and weights. I did not have a pull up bar so I used bands instead which is a cheaper option. You could get a couple weights to start since you have to work your way up.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Both are endurance training with much different goals. P90X is weightlifting 101, nothing advanced. Overkill from 20+ years of lifting experience and can easily lead to over training.

Insanity - I think the better choice. The cardio is much better and much less boring. Cardio ABS and the frequency of it is way more realistic than ABRipperX (Extreme Overkill). Y0u can pick up a beginners weight/strength training book to build a routing to go with your cardio or just do a Nautilus type circuit 2-3 times a week.

I did both and then went back to my tried and true plan that works way better than either one. They were both fun and a I did them as a break from my regular grind.

OH, and P90X is not a weight loss program. The weight/strength training mentioned to you to lose fat is done on a big calorie deficit and is way more intense, but much briefer sessions than P90X. For comparison. P90X = ~3hours per week(just he weights portion) of multiple exercise high volume split body routines + maintenance to a very slight calorie deficit strategy. The other - Less than an hour a week total. 3 20 minute 8-12 exercises done until momentary muscle failure. They are full body routines with as little rest as possible in between each exercise. Calorie load is a large to rock bottom calorie deficit and lots of cold water + adequate sleep. As you advance with the later you usually end up only 3-4 workouts in 14 days. some end up even much less frequent once a week to once in 10 days and some even once a month.
  • cmj516
    cmj516 Posts: 9
    Options
    P90X might not "be a weight loss program" but I lost my final 8 lbs doing it for two months. lol.