Flaxseed - to grind or not to grind?

Options
My husband and I are trying to make a lifestyle change, We just incorporated several new foods that I don't know much about. I bought flaxseed, after I read about its many benefits, in whole seed form. I sprinkle it on many things. Since then, I've heard that there is no benefit in flaxseed unless it is completely ground. Is this true? If so, how do I grind the seeds I already have. Thoughts?

Replies

• SweetOrganics
    SweetOrganics Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The only benefit whole flax seeds have is that they are high in fiber. They need to be ground for your body to use the healthy oils in them, but they have to be ground just prior to using because they don't keep once ground. You can use a coffee grinder to grind them, but it needs to be one you only use for seeds & herbs.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    grind for sure. that's where you will reap the benefits. I used to use Bob's Red Mill - Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal in my oatmeal every morning. gave me 13g fibre in total with the oatmeal included.
  • BirdsofaFeather
    BirdsofaFeather Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Grinding is a must for our bodies to get the benefits. Also freeze what you've ground.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Ground.