starting our journies to better health

Options
A question for my MFP friends. I have been pondering this all morning. Why now? What was the trigger that started you off on your healthy journey? I have lost and gained weight by whole life. I was wondering what triggered me last year to do this again and why I was able to continue rather than falling off the wagon after a week or two. I'm not complaining :) just wondering and am still working it out in my head with no clear answer yet. What are your stories?

Replies

• justahorsen
    Options
    I am/was sick and tired of being sick and tired....all this extra weight is too much to carry around... And what makes it work this time, that is different from all the times I have taken 10 pounds off just to put it and its friends right back on??? Simple..MFP.. People that are going through the same things as I am, an encouraging word when all I want to do is quit, the success stories and before/after pictures all prove to me that it can be done and I am well on my way to changing my life.....
  • alliosn1234
    Options
    originally it was I wanted to Run a 5k then I got engaged so I ran the 5k and now I am focusing on my wedding
  • p_cakes
    p_cakes Posts: 282
    Options
    Well for me, I'm short, so weighing 197 was a lot more than I needed on me at my height! I've never been skinny, never looked at the scale and it been below 175. Even at 175, it wasn't a good weight for me. I always started diets, but went at them wrong and quit a few days in. This year I once again made a new years resolution to lose weight, but this time something sparked in me. I realized that I was almost to 200lbs, I wasn't fitting into anything. I had just come back from shopping and had to get a size 18 jean. I didn't want to be pushing size 20. I finally decided that something had to be done. I bought a book, a journal, did research and came up with my own way to do it. I had originally started on Jan 5, but then the 10-12 I went on a trip with my boyfriend and his boss and boss' wife. They eat a TON and they were paying for it, so I enjoyed myself. The moment I got back it all started. I began drinking more water, I stayed away from horrible grease and sweets. I got veggies and fruits (which I love but never have) I started filling my cupboards with healthy foods and not unhealthy ones because I knew if they were there, I'd eat them. I began going to the gym with my friend, and recently doing some extra workouts at home.
    I started on Jan 13 and have been using MFP only about 6 or 7 days. I've stayed above a bit below 1200 calories, which I know is bad and I've begun changing that this week (I didnt understand the whole eat your exercise calories) I've lost 5 lbs since starting MFP and 7 lbs since starting my journey on the 13.

Something snapped in me and I decided I couldn't do this anymore. I couldn't go into stores only to walk out disappointed they had nothing for me. I was tired of window shopping for things I would never fit into. I wanted to be able to go on vacation this year with a two piece bathing suit in my luggage.

I started a blog, to keep myself busy and to complain on, I've kept up with everything on MFP. So far it's been great. With 7lbs gone I already feel great!

(sorry it got long, once I start it's hard to stop)