Newbie with PCOS

Options
Hi Everyone! Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself:) I have gained about 30 pounds in the last few years
from basically getting away from journaling my caloric intake from day to day. I also have polycycstic ovarian disease
which has caused me to fluctuate with my weight because of insulin resistance. I also am lucky that I met the love of my
life two years ago, but all the wining and dining (dating weight) has taken a toll on my figure. I am ready to be slim by spring.
I am looking to a low carb program but track my calories at the same time. I feel like some of these hight protein diets are very high
in calories. Can anyone suggest a lower calorie/low carbohydrate diet? I am looking forward to using the site and tracking my calories again:) Feel free to friend me as well! Looking forward to working with everyone towards their goals!

Replies

• crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS, but I'm eating low carb in recovering from my eating disorder (or trying anyway).

These are the things I've been eating:

cottage cream cheese with 1/2 cup frozen raspberries. 17g of protein and 13g carbs. Calories were 128. I know that may seem high, but I didn't think it was too bad for having not eaten much fruit lately. My other carbohydrates come from vegetables and tons of them.

As for protein, I have been trying to incorporate some seafood into my diet. I'm starting out with tuna.

I also eat eggs and turkey bacon. It's okay to have a bit higher fat.

I also make protein shakes.
  • Petal765
    Options
    Hi there:) I too think I suffer from an eating disorder....I basically only ate around 800 calories a day while I was in college
    and ran 6 miles a day on top of that. I lost a lot of weight, but since then I have gradually gained it all back plus more. I feel like
    I put my body in starvation mode. I struggle some days to eat more than that still. But I realized as much as I exercised I need more calories...At least 1200. Thank you for the protein tips! I am looking at the South Beach Diet...Doesn't seem as extreme as the Atkins...I have know friends that have done Atkins, and lost weight, but gained it all back plus more from reintroduction of carbohydrates. But I do need a low carb plan because of the PCOS issue. Thank you so much for your support! ;)
  • gini2407
    gini2407 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I have PCOS as well, and I have also recovered from a very bad eating disorder in the past. I don't know if any of us fully "recover", but we can do our best to stay on the right path. :) Anywho, I do not have a specific low-carb diet that I follow, but I try to just closely monitor the amount in my diet. My endocrinologist did not want me on a "no-carb" diet, so she suggested limiting the breads, etc. to once/twice a day. Fruits are fine, but just watch the sugary ones, like bananas. They're not off-limits, but need to be eaten in moderation. Also, I have switched to low-carb yogurt, which saves me a lot of carbs and sugar. I hope this helps a little, and I wish the best of luck to you both!! :bigsmile:
  • Petal765
    Options
    Hi there! Thank you so much for your reply. I too, am not sure if I will ever fully recover either, but at least we are on
    our way to healthier eating:) I really don't have a specific low carb plan either, but just cutting out breads, pastas, flour,
    sweets, ect...and eating fruits in moderation. I do however get myslef into trouble on the weekends from drinking wine though:( I won't eat so I can save up my calories for the alcohol...then I find myself so hungry the next day that I binge eat...I think that is why I have gained weight over the last few years..I think I slow my metabolism down from not eating, but get the calories from drinking on the weekends..That is something I need to
    work on as well. I guess all things in monderation for now on;)