New member and mommy

Options
I joined MFP a few weeks after having my daughter in early November. At my six-week doctor's appointment, I learned that I had only lost 10 pounds after having a 7 pound baby and working out regularly for four weeks. I had heard that nursing burned 500 calories a day and used that as an excuse to eat whatever I wanted!

I feel great after using MFP for a few weeks. The weight is coming off and I will hopefully get to my goal weight soon. I plan to use MFP even after that to make sure I eat enough protein, vitamins, and iron, though. I am vegetarian and it isn't always to get enough protein and iron, especially. I love that it tracks all the different aspects of what we eat. Plus, it guides me away from empty calories and towards healthier foods.

Swimming, jogging, and weight training are my favorite ways to exercise... but how difficult is it to get to the gym between working and being a nursing mother?!??!! Swimming especially keeps me sane and I do my best to do it regularly.

If you are a mom with young kids, a swimmer, or vegetarian, I would especially like to "meet" you!

Replies

• ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    I am a mommy of a 2 1/2 year old and a vegetarian! Not a swimmer, but my hubby is! =D I'm always looking for more friends. Nice to meet you! I'm Kym.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you, Kym! It sounds like we have very similar goals. I saw that you have done a 10K and want to do a half-marathon. That is something I want to work on as well!
  • 1ofthegang
    1ofthegang Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am a new mommy, although my daughter is almost 9 months now (time really flies). I nursed for 7 months and found it very difficult to diet and keep my supply up, so I just didn't diet :( Now I am ready to lose this "baby" weight. We can encourage each other in all things weight loss and new mommy. Good luck!
  • swimmermama
    Options
    Time does fly, 1ofthegang! I can't believe my baby is almost 12 weeks old.

Nice to meet you! :)
  • Erica9903
    Erica9903 Posts: 156
    Options
    I'm not a new mommy but I am the mommy of a 7 yr old boy and 11 yr old girl. Congrats on your new baby!! Good luck on you weight loss journey :flowerforyou:

Erica
  • tummymummy
    Options
    Hi, Im am mum of three and still BF my 6 month old - We are all vegetarian too although not great swimmers ( love it when Im there but such a hassle to get there!) I promised myself I would get to 6 months before dieting as didnt want to risk my milk supply but since I started 3 weeks ago there has been no loss of milk thankfully - I try to add plenty iron rich veg to every curry/sauce etc and often have a bowl of cereal with added vitamins in the am. Using quorn as a replacement in many meat recipes keeps my protein up and calorie count down so I always seem to have plenty calories for a glass of wine or some chocolate in the evening :)

Good luck in your journey, dont beat yourself up about it and enjoy your baby !!

Feel free to add me for support x
  • swimmermama
    Options
    Hi, Im am mum of three and still BF my 6 month old - We are all vegetarian too although not great swimmers ( love it when Im there but such a hassle to get there!) I promised myself I would get to 6 months before dieting as didnt want to risk my milk supply but since I started 3 weeks ago there has been no loss of milk thankfully - I try to add plenty iron rich veg to every curry/sauce etc and often have a bowl of cereal with added vitamins in the am. Using quorn as a replacement in many meat recipes keeps my protein up and calorie count down so I always seem to have plenty calories for a glass of wine or some chocolate in the evening :)

Good luck in your journey, dont beat yourself up about it and enjoy your baby !!

Feel free to add me for support x

Hi Tummymummy! I haven't seen any reduction in my milk supply, either. Thank goodness! Good idea about the bowl of cereal. I am always low on my iron and somehow keep forgetting that cereal is fortified with the stuff!

I added you. Nice to meet you!