Discouraged......

Options
I have been using MFP since Nov. I have gone down from 147 to 133(the last time I checked which was about a month ago). That is amazing. I am trying to go down about 8 more pounds adn it seems nearly imposible. I eat my 1200 calories a day and when I do eat more I exercise. In general I run about 4 times a week, anywhere from 40min to an hour.
This weekend I spent with friends. Compared to me they ate so much. None of them ever seem to gain weight.
Saturday: Them
Breakfast:
Toast, boiled egg, ham, cheese, some jelly and butter

Lunch:
Mini pizza

Dinner:
rib, chicken thigh, pasta salad

Me:
Breakfast: toast, jelly, 2 egg whites

Lunch:
3 cereal bars, some pizza crust

Snack: peach
Dinner:
Chicken thigh, sausage, vegetable salad

This is a typical thing... They eat around 2000-3000 cals a day. I only eat 1200 + exercise. They stay the same weight and I bounce around either gaining or staying the same..

I don't get it!!!!:mad:

Replies

• borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP since Nov. I have gone down from 147 to 133(the last time I checked which was about a month ago). That is amazing. I am trying to go down about 8 more pounds adn it seems nearly imposible. I eat my 1200 calories a day and when I do eat more I exercise. In general I run about 4 times a week, anywhere from 40min to an hour.
    This weekend I spent with friends. Compared to me they ate so much. None of them ever seem to gain weight.
    Saturday: Them
    Breakfast:
    Toast, boiled egg, ham, cheese, some jelly and butter

Lunch:
    Mini pizza

Dinner:
    rib, chicken thigh, pasta salad

Me:
    Breakfast: toast, jelly, 2 egg whites

Lunch:
    3 cereal bars, some pizza crust

Snack: peach
    Dinner:
    Chicken thigh, sausage, vegetable salad

This is a typical thing... They eat around 2000-3000 cals a day. I only eat 1200 + exercise. They stay the same weight and I bounce around either gaining or staying the same..

I don't get it!!!!:mad:
  • pete
    pete Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Please do not be discouraged.
    You may be eating too little.
    1200 calories may have your body going into starvation mode.
    In starvation mode your body stops burning fat.
    You may need to eat more to get your body off starvation mode so that you begin losing weight again.

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories/burning_calories/starvation.htm

Also it could be that you are transforming fat into muscle.
    So you are losing fat, but do not see a difference in weight because you are replacing the fat with muscle.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. They likely have fast metabolisms... which is great except that our metabolisms slow with age so someday things will catch up with them. You look great in your photo, and I really think you should re-evaluate your goals (weekly amount you want to lose) aim for .5 lbs a week, your calories will increase but that's ok, you DON'T want to be under-eating. Also, I would suggest cutting out some of the grains products and replacing them with fruits and veggies. It seemed, in your example, really disproportionate. It may help with the weight loss. goodluck, stick with it! :flowerforyou:
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Maybe it's time to reevaluate your goal? You're already at the lower end of your (healthy) bmi. If your pictures are current, you look great. Is your body holding on to the "extra weight" for a reason?

Who cares what your friends can eat......I know, we all do, but unfortunately, it really doesn't matter. The good news is that you're working out your eating habits in a healthy way and your friends are gonna have to play catch up later when you're still looking great.

If you are 5'8, 1200 cals seems low (but I'm no expert). If you decide to try to continue to lose, perhaps upping your calories for a few weeks would help.

Be healthy and kind to yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I second reevaluating your goal. Sometimes what the size we want is not what is healthy, and I think you need to rethink your goal. Maybe try just toning your body now through weight training.

Also, there is no way you need to be at a 1200 calories a day diet. Your body isn't losing because you're not feeding it enough, so it's hanging onto every single ounce of nutrients/energy it can get. Please read the below post:

Read this post below to learn more about what is probably happening in your case:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi