Body Fat Calculators/ online

Options
So I've been curious about my body fat %, and I don't belong to a gym, so I thought I would check out some online calculators. The results were crazy and all over the place. But I did 12, threw out the top and bottom (I figure, if it's good enough for figure skating it's good enough for me) and averaged the remaining 10. Here are all my results.

16.19 - Navy
18.88 - YMCA
31.82 - Health Central
18.5 - Scientific Psychic
3.6 - nhlbsupport (they got tossed as my bottom)
16.13 - Live stronge
13 - CSG network
32 - Active (got tossed as my top)
13.47 - Free Dieting
24.54 - Runners World
16.2 - Changing shape
17.06 - Dr Sears

The average of the 10 remaining was 18.579. I don't really feel like I can trust this, but it was an interesting exercise, and now I've measured just about every part of my body.

Replies

• Becky011
    Becky011 Posts: 384
    Options
    Interesting! These things seem like they are all over the place!! Is body fat the sames as BMI?
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The most accurate way to test is to get the dunk test. I've heard you can go to a nearby college or university, and they may have the facilities to do the test. I've also heard it usually costs around $20. Calipers are the next best thing, but I've got calipers, and I have a hard time getting a consistent reading, if your body fat is too high I don't think calipers will work either. You can get a scale that measures body fat, but I know the one I have at home, I had to make myself taller than I am to match what the gym told me I had, they use a hand held. I think the scales and handheld can be around 3 to 6 % off on the reading, and it can be thrown off if you've just worked out.

I agree the online ones do vary alot. If you can find an accurate way to test it once, then find an online calculator that gives similar numbers, you may want to follow that.