Joined last week

Options
Hello my name is kathy Im 42 230 5"6 want to loose 50 pounds. This site is great it really helps me watch my calorie intake the problem I find is healthy seems to cost more. I want to learn to cook healthier grilled meats when I do the chicken is dry does anyone have good recipes for veggies or chicken a light marinade etc... Thanks

Replies

• winky1
    winky1 Posts: 15
    Options
    Try mrs dash sodium free spices for on veggies like green beans
  • kristinmaravelias
    Options
    I alway marinade my chicken in olive oil, lemon juice and oregano. Seems to give it a good flavor without adding a ton of calories.
  • AnnieFJ
    AnnieFJ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi Kathy
    Try stir frying the chicken but dont use oil. Instead add boiling water every time the pan dries up and you can also add things like lemon joice or soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce and the end result will be very tasty.
    Ann
  • miznel80
    miznel80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi there Kat! If you have a crock pot, use it! :) It's become my best friend :) My ultimate goal is 60 lbs, but I haven't felt hungry at all :) Yesterday I cooked chicken drumsticks and quartered potatos in my crockpot. All I added was some lemon pepper and It was AWESOME! :):) The best thing about a crock pot is you can fix your dinner before you leave in the morning set it on low and it cooks to perfection :) you can add a little bit of water if you're worried about moisture, but mine came out just fine.
  • sakos12
    Options
    Since I joined I've have learned something every college kid hates. YOU MUST COOK.

It stinks but it is worth it. I used to eat fast food all the time and it showed. I have yet to lose a ton of weight but I'm on this sight to tone and get into fit shape for the first time of my life. Some great things to look for:

check calories on food labels! (also keep in mind fats and sodium they are always the ones I tend to go over my allowed with) also keep in mind the SERVING SIZE [seriously, labels trick you] I used to eat giant bowls of cereal until I found out that the serving size was half a cup!

egg white omelets or scrambled egg whites: keeps you full forever and you can load it with all these good veggies a slice of fat free cheese and a piece of toast. I have this on busy class days and it keeps me going from 7am until lunch around 12:30

try to take small meals to keep your metabolism up. I love power bars, I eat half in between breakfast and lunch and half on my way home from campus :)

Chicken stir fry is also amazing, cook a piece of chicken, make some rice and cook some veggies and you can add some low sodium soy sauce and you've got a filling meal

I can send more with instruction if you'd like or if you would like a pal (however that whole 'join with buddies' works, I'm somewhat new to online)
  • ricksnaustin
    ricksnaustin Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Kathy, you will do great here. I have a good chicken wrap recipe that is quick and easy, especially for lunches. If you want, send me a message and I will send it.
  • winky1
    winky1 Posts: 15
    Options
    oh n as far as chicken with me being vegaterian im not big one but i work in a reasuraunt and if you lighty spray ur chicken with olive oil and bake or steam it slowly the slower the better ithelps keep it moist after you spray it w ur oilve oil add low call or fresh seasonings to it :sad: my poor chicken
  • jjjghoffert
    Options
    Oh, I totally agree! The crock pot is my best friend. Who knows what I would cook (or worse, order out) when I got home from work if I didn't have it to fall back on.