Protein after exercise

Options
vayax
vayax Posts: 152 Member
I'm sure a lot of people have already asked this, but how much protein should I consume right after exercising?

thanks!

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I don't know percentage or gram-wise what the amount is... just aim for a high-protein snack or meal.
    ex: 2-3oz lean meat, 1/2 cup legumes, a smoothie or skim/soymilk mixed with 1-2 scoops of protein powder (a scoop is usually 1/8cup), a couple handfuls of almonds/nuts, a hard-boiled egg, etc.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Usually 15 to 25 grams is sufficient for most people after a strength training workout. Serious weightlifters or bodybuilders might consume more, but the average person doesn't need that much.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Here try this link it tells you how much you need.

http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp
  • waterpcat
    Options
    Hi there

This post interested me. having had a look into this there are a few things this depends on such as what type of exercise you are doing? weight training, cardio or both, or even a long distance run. All this depends on how much protein:carbohydrates you eat after your workout?!

Secondly, you should make sure you try and eat as close after your workout as possible, because this is when your metabolic rate is higher.

Dont be put off by carbohydrates, if you want to lose weight, but to do be conscious of when you eat them and how much of them you eat. If you were to train of an evening, then a big carbohydrate meal afterwards wouldnt be greatly beneficial. All this would do is lay in your stomach over night, not buring off and converting to unused sugars in your body, which in time convert to weight gain. Therefore, a protein rich meal in the eve, with fewer carbs would be a better option.

Although this does not answer your question fully, I hope you can make some sense of it and hopefully go away and use some bits of info?!

:)
  • vayax
    vayax Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I usually exercise in the afternoon but I don't have dinner until around 3 hours later...so I was looking for a high protein snack that I could have right after exercise... I'm sure the amount will vary depending on the type of exercise I'm doing but was looking for an estimate... any tips on what I could eat will be great!
  • EvilPirateJohn
    EvilPirateJohn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake made up of powder and water right after working out - 24g. Drinks after working out are better than food high in protein because your body absorbs it almost immediately and your muscles can begin to repair.

About an hour after, I eat lunch with about 20 more grams of protein.

Throughout the day, I try for 125g. I'm 5'11 and weigh 230.