How many servings??

anovasjo
anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
How many servings of fruits and vegetables do you eat per day?

The USDA suggests 5-9 servings of produce per day. One serving is equal to 1/2 cup chopped.

Replies

• crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    i eat in tat range. Sometimes more and sometimes less
  • EvilPirateJohn
    EvilPirateJohn Posts: 47 Member
    On most days, none.

I try to keep my sugar count as low as possible. Most days I'm around 40g, yesterday I was 25. Many fruits and vegetables have natural sugar in them (not to start a debate on and if there are "good" types of sugar) so I just avoid them.

I can't necessarily say that what I do is recommended...but whatever, it's just my plan for now.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Two-thirds of your lunch meal and your dinner meal should be vegetables, preferably green. Try to eliminate red meats from your meals as much, if not completely, as possible. For poultry, no skin and only the white meat is best. At least 4 fish meals per week .. more if possible. The body does not really digest red meats well.

Claire :)
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    I usually have half a banana with breakfast, another piece of fruit in the afternoon, and about 2-3 servings of veggies with dinner.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Considering at lunch alone I eat 3 cups of lettuce.... what do you think, lmao.
  • masterofktulu
    masterofktulu Posts: 151 Member
    On most days, none.

I try to keep my sugar count as low as possible. Most days I'm around 40g, yesterday I was 25. Many fruits and vegetables have natural sugar in them (not to start a debate on and if there are "good" types of sugar) so I just avoid them.

I can't necessarily say that what I do is recommended...but whatever, it's just my plan for now.

Honestly that is a terrible excuse for not eating fruits and vegetables. Sugars have natural sugar where your body needs to break down the food to get to your bloodstream in a healthy way. Those are sugars you need. Refined sugars such as pop, candy etc. go straight to the bloodstream which is unhealthy. So not eating any fruits and vegetables is not a good thing.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    On most days, none.

Honestly that is a terrible excuse for not eating fruits and vegetables. Sugars have natural sugar where your body needs to break down the food to get to your bloodstream in a healthy way. Those are sugars you need. Refined sugars such as pop, candy etc. go straight to the bloodstream which is unhealthy. So not eating any fruits and vegetables is not a good thing.

DING DING DING :drinker:
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 280 Member
    I'd say about 6 of veggies and 3 of fruit.
  • EvilPirateJohn
    On most days, none.

Like I said, I'm not recommending it. I was just simply answering the question.
  • masterofktulu
    On most days, none.

That's weird because in a different topic you posted in just minutes ago, you recommended someone else to eat fruits instead of junk.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    I eat about 5 or 6.

Usually that would be zero for breakfast. Apple for snack. spinach/salads with lunch. Steamed/roast veg x 3 for dinner.

I think that's about standard. Any less and you're not getting enough.

:bigsmile:
  • EvilPirateJohn
    On most days, none.

That's weird because in a different topic you posted in just minutes ago, you recommended someone else to eat fruits instead of junk.

Yes I did...and I won't be eating fruits nor sweets in my diet for the time being. That person wanted healthier football snacks, and I can certainly say and recommend that an apple is much better than a cupcake or cookie.
  • masterofktulu
    On most days, none.

Yes I did...and I won't be eating fruits nor sweets in my diet for the time being. That person wanted healthier football snacks, and I can certainly say and recommend that an apple is much better than a cupcake or cookie.

Don't recommend what you don't do :)
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    I eat at least 7 - I try to have half my lunch and 3/4 of my dinner plate as veges and turn to fruit and vege as my first snack choice. On a bad day or holiday I include a glass of V8 juice, one 250ml glass is one serving of fruit AND one serving of veges (so 2 serves) - highly recommend! x
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    I usually have a couple of bananas, a pear or orange and then a serving or two of vegetables with dinner. I plan on increasing that amount in the near future.
This discussion has been closed.