Need new bike advice

Options
Ok, all my biking pals!

I want a new bike sooooo bad. I want a road bike--right now I have a hybrid, and I've read that I can get about 5 mph faster on a road bike!!!! I want one now!! :tongue:

Anyway, I'm hoping to get one next month. That will give me 2 months to break it in before I attempt my 60 miles ride/tour in October.

But I don't know what to get! I'd like to spend less than $300, which probably means a used bike, doesn't it?

Any advice on what to look for, what type to look for or avoid, what are good features to have, etc. ??

Educate me!

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Ok, all my biking pals!

I want a new bike sooooo bad. I want a road bike--right now I have a hybrid, and I've read that I can get about 5 mph faster on a road bike!!!! I want one now!! :tongue:

Anyway, I'm hoping to get one next month. That will give me 2 months to break it in before I attempt my 60 miles ride/tour in October.

But I don't know what to get! I'd like to spend less than $300, which probably means a used bike, doesn't it?

Any advice on what to look for, what type to look for or avoid, what are good features to have, etc. ??

Educate me!
  • shorerider
    Options
    Oh, and my hubby thinks I should get a men's bike instead of a women's--what do y'all think? The women's bike I've got now doesn't have water bottle holders like his does, so I have to use a camelback--he said if I buy a men's, it will have those holders like I want.
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Well being an aircraft mechanic and somewhat mechanically inclined:bigsmile: I'd be willing to be I could screw,bolt,rivet, weld,zip tie, or worse.... duct tape a water bottle holder on there for ya!:laugh:

I'll give you my old Huffy I got a Kmart back in the day, she's got a few upgrades.....like flintstone brakes, playing cards taped in the spokes to sound like a dirt bike, a little boom box taped on the handle bars, oh yea, bent handle bars no thanks to the flintstone brakes!:laugh:

I don't know a whole lot about racing bikes but I do know my buddy has a men's bike and it is light as heck, and he spent well over 1,000 for it. I couldn't believe it but I don't mock him, we all have our hobbies, mine is flying a tin can around the sky smashing bugs which is probably well over his bikes initial investment every year ( I don't look, and I never tell my fiance, she'd want a coach purse if she knew! )

I would be willing to bet that for your utilization of this bike your best bet is probably a mens bike, built tougher, it will already have the water bottle holders on it, although I'm sure if you googled it or shopped around you could find a woman's bike with them. I'll go out on a limb and say the men's bike will be built better for you anyway, but who am I? I'm a penguin trying to tell a monkey how to eat a banana at this point, just thought I'd give you a response since no one has yet ( at least before I finished typing my novel!)

Good luck and enjoy your ride!:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Oh I love my Camelback, but everyone has their preference. :tongue:
    I want a road bike too :bigsmile: I had my eyes set on the Bella Litespeed, but my husband is conveinced I would kill myself on a road bike hahha! :laugh:

Even though we don't have road bikes, we only ride on road. My hubby and I both have Litespeed MTB. I call them crossovers!
    I use to ride an old Trek mens frame. It was ridiculous, I finally switched to a women's specific frame.
    I'm not sure how tall you are. You maybe able to get away with a men's frame, but I would suggest a womens bike.
    My advice to you is to go to a bike shop and have yourself fitted to a bike.

As far as price. I'm not sure what you can get for under 300.00 that would be good for long distance rides. It makes a BIG difference to ride a good bike when you are riding 60 miles plus.
    My bike is custom and is priced around 4000.00...OUCH!!! and that was with a frame I searched 2 yrs to find at a discounted price.
    I have top of the line components only because I ride long distances. We take a lot of trips to do nothing but ride and having great components seriously could make or break a ride. .
    Plus, I hung up the car keys and I ride my bike to work everyday, weather permitted of course. :happy:
    So if you look at it this way the money I save on gas and the price of my bike....it all comes out in the wash hehehe! :tongue:
    So your best bet is to hit the bike shops and look around and you maybe able to find something good on Ebay too.
    Good luck and keep on peddling :bigsmile:
    Kel~
    p.s. Mine came with water bottle cages, but I ditched them for the Camelback :bigsmile:
  • jabrown
    jabrown Posts: 6
    Options
    Hey girl!!
    First of all congrats on getting out there and you're AWESOME doing a 60 miler!! My husband finally convinced me to move on to a road bike from my old mtn bike. I have to say I have absolutely LOVED it!!! Well worth my investment!!:happy: (It was a Trek for $750)

OK, here's my 2 cents:
    Having bottle cages doesn't necessarily have to do with men or women's specific design. It's just a matter if there are screws there to attach the water cages. Whatever you decide to do, my greatest advice is to make sure the bike fits you. Trust me you'll want the comfort over 60 miles!! This is both for height and for the seat to handle bar reach. Each bike can be adjusted somewhat, but only so far... You might also eventually consider a woman's specific saddle.....pretty sure you know why.:laugh:

As far as price range you are probably wanting to search for a good used bike. I'd stop by a couple bike shops and at least listen to what they advise you as far as fit. This might also help you decide what you're looking for. Some bike shops have some resale bikes for sale, but you can always take their advice and use it when you shop the web. You'll undoubtedly end up at the shop eventually for service or tubes, etc.

Good luck in your search!!
  • shorerider
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's tips!

Looks like I'll have to up my price estimate a bit--which means I'll might have to wait until next season to get a bike. I don't want to get one that isn't going to meet my needs. Going to go check out some bike shops next week I think and say what the possibilities are anyway.

Thanks again!
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    Look at this site for prices: www.bikesdirect.com

And yes, I believe you need to adjust your price range a little.
    You can get a good bike for the price you mentioned used. But you need to know what you are looking at ( = components et cetera).

as long as it is a good frame you can buy anynithing used. Components can be changed/replaced.

It doesn't have to be the latest carbon frame and highest shimano group either for exercise purposes.

Make sure though that the bike is the right size.

As to men's bike: yes. Good idea. Women bikes were originally build for women wearing skirts. You wear that when you ride?:wink: You should look for a women specific saddle.

Good luck
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I never knew girls bikes didn't have a water bottle holder??? My mountain bike is a guys, just because I wanted the stronger frame...It has two screws on the frame where you can add one. I use a camelback for long rides when I'm off road, and then I add the holder for about town and on light trails. Anyway... I didn't know that?

What brands/types are you looking at for now?
  • shorerider
    Options
    I have no idea of what kind of road bike is out there--I've never looked for one! Going to go check out some bike shops next week. I've got to go out of town for 4 days for a seminar and will have time while there to bike shop!!
  • CyclingDiva
    Options

As to men's bike: yes. Good idea. Women bikes were originally build for women wearing skirts. You wear that when you ride?:wink: You should look for a women specific saddle.

Good luck

I SO disagree with you on the womens specific bike and wearing a skirt...WHAT THE???
    After my ride today...I'll so you a skirt!
    And I know alot of women that would disagree with that statement as well.
    Have you ever seen bikes by Terry??? SWEEEETTTT Bikes!
    It's like telling a women to wear men's pants. We are women and we are built different!
    Also a mens frame doesn't mean it would be a stronger frame. I have a womens, titanium frame by Litespeed.
    It's a very strong sturdy frame that should last me forever!
    Bottom line is we are all shaped different and it's what works for you. I rode a mens frame for 4 yrs and never realized how wrong it was for me until I got my "WOMEN" frame.
    Have fun shopping for your new bike. Kel~
  • shorerider
    Options

Good luck

I SO disagree with you on the womens specific bike and wearing a skirt...WHAT THE???
    And I know alot of women that would disagree with that statement as well.
    Have you ever seen bikes by Terry??? SWEEEETTTT Bikes!
    It's like telling a women to wear men's pants. We are women and we are built different!
    Also a mens frame doesn't mean it would be a stronger frame. I have a womens, titanium frame by Litespeed.
    It's a very strong sturdy frame that should last me forever!
    Bottom line is we are all shaped different and it's what works for you. I rode a mens frame for 4 yrs and never realized how wrong it was for me until I got my "WOMEN" frame.
    Have fun shopping for your new bike. Kel~

The point was that women's bikes were ORIGINALLY made for women wearing skirts--and I think that is correct.

I've been researching the difference between men and women frame--didn't know they made women's frames with the top bar but a shorter frame ) length-wise. I found on the 'net today, a Jamis Ventura, that is under $500 brand new! Looks sweet, too. I'm going to go look at one next week if I can.
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options

Well, you may not agree with that, but that doesn't change facts now does it? Unless you show me proof I still believe my books and that historically this the reason to build women frames :happy:

I know that women are build different and seeing the mileage you put on your bike it is certainly justified to find the ride that fits best. But for someone who looks for an inexpensive bike for exercise and to get started, a DF frame that fits should be just fine.

The cheapest Terry bike starts at more than $600, and the next one up is already beyond $1000. So how does THAT help her?

When you go back to the Terry web site Diva, look at the frames they are ALL, with no exception, Diamond Frames. The geometry is different, yes but it is still a DF. I wonder why.........
  • CyclingDiva
    Options

Well, you may not agree with that, but that doesn't change facts now does it? Unless you show me proof I still believe my books and that historically this the reason to build women frames :happy:

I know that women are build different and seeing the mileage you put on your bike it is certainly justified to find the ride that fits best. But for someone who looks for an inexpensive bike for exercise and to get started, a DF frame that fits should be just fine.

The cheapest Terry bike starts at more than $600, and the next one up is already beyond $1000. So how does THAT help her?

When you go back to the Terry web site Diva, look at the frames they are ALL, with no exception, Diamond Frames. The geometry is different, yes but it is still a DF. I wonder why.........

I wasn't suggesting she buy a Terry bike. What I'm trying to say is, the biking world has came
    along and has definilty became a very popular sport with men and women alike. There is so many bikes to chose from, MEN and WOMENS bikes.
    I'm not talking your little beach cruisers either.
    Yes I would agree something like a beach cruiser, you would probably find a women wearing a skirt. But NOT ME and I shouldn't be labeled that just because I ride a womens frame.
    Your comment was just a little male chauvinistic to me.
    Okay I'm done with this converstation...happy riding!
    Kelly!
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Just got a new bike. My old (15 year+) Specialized Mountain Bike finally had enough. I wanted a road bike too as my mountain biking days are pretty much over. (Due to a slight mishap off a cliff a couple years ago and the fact that I cant bear to watch my 12 year old - he's getting too good and I start getting all mommy when I go with them!).
    The racing road bikes I was looking at started at $1,500 - and they arent very good. I ended up with a "commuter" bike. Not a hybrid - its pure road bike, but not racing. I generally go by myself and I am not mechanically inclined at all and the skinny tires and shifting/chain mechanisms seemed too much for me. The one I have is suppossedly idiot proof as far as the gears and shifting. It was also under $800. Not the greatest if you are going to go over 50 miles consistenly, but the seat pole has shocks on it and you can always switch the seat out if you want. The shocks in the seat dont really do much and I either jump bumps or stand up anyway out of habit from mountain biking. Its a pretty comfortable bike. The only other down side is that its only 8 gears. The guys at the store told me that it's lowest gear would be lower than my old bike and the highest would be higher. That part wasnt exaclty true as I live in a very hilly area and the first few times I rode up my street it felt like my new bikes 1st gear was similar to my old bikes 4th or 5th. Oh well, my legs are alot stronger now as a result!!
  • kellbell
    kellbell Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    We just bought your basic ol 7 speed Schwinn yesterday at Target ...on sale for 160.00 each.
    SCHWEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTT bikes for the price :tongue:

~Kell
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Go to your local bike shop and tell them exactly what you just told us. The guy here was fabulous. I have a hybrid. Just got it and love it. He also told me that when and if I wanted to road bike that they take trades. It does not hurt to ask. Also, with bikes, you get what you pay for. Go somewhere where they know what they are doing and let them fit you properly. It makes a difference. You may pay a little more than you are hoping but man, I wish I had done it months ago. My whole body would have loved me more!