Working your abs when they are sore

bopper
bopper Posts: 352 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Should you be working your abs if they are sore from the previous day? Just wondered, as I'm doing Jillians 6 pack 6 week ab dvd and I am also going to try Jackie Warners Xtreme Abs.

Thanks

Replies

• masterofktulu
    masterofktulu Posts: 151 Member
    Generally it is unhealthy to work out the same muscle group more than twice a week. Your muscles need to repair which can take 24-48 hours. I work out 6 days a week and do one muscle group a day.
  • A trainer told me that your abs are the one muscle that you can work everyday. Other muscles I guess you have to do a day on and a day off.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Abs everyother day
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    everyother day... they are still muscle and need rest just like the others!
  • In the army we worked out abs everyday. That was the only group that we did like that. Everything else was every other day.
  • Maybe you could try 3 on, day off, 3 on day off. Or do 2, day off then 2. Find what works for you. Best of luck
  • I work my abs every day. It's the only muscle I do that with though.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Abs are just like any other muscle. They need time to rest and repair themselves. Don't forget that they also get worked in a lot of other exercises like squats and lunges. Give them a couple of days rest in between ab workouts. You can actually strain and weaken them by working them too much.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Ab workouts every day are a waste of time... I have done it before and had horrible results.

Here are some quick thoughts:
    Would you workout your chest or arms everyday?
    Your abs are used ever day for stabilization, etc.
    It is impossible to spot reduce fat. Your body decides where the fat loss occurs.
    Ab exercises do not burn many calories / fat so weight / running will yield better results... You have to get rid of the layer of fat first before you'll see anything.

2x a week max until you get down to a low body fat level...

I am not saying that you shouldn't bit work them out...just wouldn't do it all the time for the reasons above
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    If a muscle is sore from a previous workout, I don't work it. That's my rule of thumb.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    I'd say every other day max. Your muscles need time to recover, otherwise its a pointless exercise. Basically, they only grow/tone in recovery mode!

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • There is no reason to work your abs everyday.. If your not even burning the fat around the area you're just doing abs for no reason.. Every muscle needs it's period to regain oxygen and rest.. If you work the same muscle everyday day then u burn yourself out and find yourself not able to perform fully for the excerise and actually maxs out the muscle
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    The old notion that one can/should work their abs every day has been debunked. Ab muscles are muscles. Muscles need 48 hours between workouts -- no matter where that muscle is located. Abs are the same. Every other day would be better so they have a chance to recover. You'll make much better progress that way ...

BTW -- I'm impressed that so many of you knew the right answer. This is one of those old myths that has been completely deflated but the news is sometimes slow to travel. Good job, folks!!!
  • bopper
    bopper Posts: 352 Member
    Thank You . Lots of good info. I was on the right track myself in knowing you need to rest a muscle and not break it down by working it everyday. I will do every other day with my cardio every day see where it goes. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.