1 more ? about eating exercise cals...

Options
I know all about eating your exercise calories and have read Banks' article several times. I am working on losing about 20 lbs. Here is my last question.....

Should all "exercise calories" be treated the same? Example - I teach an aerobics class that is generally 60 mins long. 40ish mins of cardio and 20ish mins of strength training. Do you eat back the TOTAL cals you burned during the entire 60min class, even though only 40ish was actual cardio, or do you just eat back the cardio cals and not the strength training cals.

In addition, I take a strength training class that has little cardio - although my HR does get into my medium hard zone at times. Should I be eating back all of these cals also? I understand that you need the cals for energy so your body doesn't burn muscle, does that only apply for cardio??

Thanks in advance - - !!

Replies

• nevergonnagiveup
    Options
    considering that calories are a measurement of energy, I would think it was safe to assume that you would need to include them considering you need the energy for strength training as well as cardio. Just make those extra calorie points healthy nutritious choices so you get more bang for your points! Bet you still lose excess fat! :happy:
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories no matter how you burn them. However, I would be conservative eating the exercise calories just in case your exercise calories are overestimated.
  • wpij25
    wpij25 Posts: 161
    Options
    the beauty of this site is that it is pretty fool proof...you dont have to think.

you put info into the food and exercise diary and wallah...if it's green it's good you need to eat it, if it's red you need to stop. :wink: