Shoe Recommendations

Options
2»

Replies

• kirra_80
    Options
    I've found the most durable and comfortable shoes to be New Balances, but I haven't tried any other brands in a few years.
  • farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    New Balances are pretty awesome... and every pair has a number on them somewhere... the higher the number, the more supportive the shoe is. 400 seems to be on the low end and 1000 is the highest I've ever seen.

However, I just bought a brand new pair of Reebok's for $40! They cradle my heel/ankle like no shoe has ever cradled before! (It was pretty glorious trying them on for the first time).

I would say whatever name brand fits you best, go for it.

Oh, and I'm really anti-all these stupid "easy tone" shoes with "balance" technology. It just looks like an ankle injury waiting to happen! Nothing beats a well-balanced, supportive shoe.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Go to a store that specializes in running shoes and get a professional fitting. They should really work with you, watch you walk and run in several pairs of shoes, and find the one that is just right for you. It's not that much more expensive, but soooooo important. :)

+1000

There is absolutely no point asking other people which shoes THEY like because they don’t have YOUR feet or YOUR running style.

The “best” running shoe for you is one that:

• Fits
    • Is suitable to your biomechanical needs (subject to whether you pronate / supinate etc, your stability needs etc)
    • Is suitable to your running style (forefoot runner, midfoot runner, heel striker…)
    • Is suitable to the surface you wish to train on (tarmac, trail, cross country, fell)
    • Is the right shoe in terms of purpose (high mileage training shoes versus racing flats)

What doesn’t matter are:

• Brand
    • Colour
    • Gimmicks (and I would include “tone” shoes in that)
    • What your best friend likes…

The best shoe answer I have ever seen.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    The best shoe answer I have ever seen.

*bows*

I'll be here again next week. :wink:

:drinker:
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys!

I found a running specialty shop here in my area and I'm planning on going this weekend to check them out and actually get fitted. :bigsmile:
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    While we're talking about running shoes, have any of you guys had any experience with Somnio running shoes?

http://www.somniorunning.com/home

I get terrible blisters on my insteps, and I'm considering these customs as an option.

Other suggestions would also be quite welcome!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys!

I found a running specialty shop here in my area and I'm planning on going this weekend to check them out and actually get fitted. :bigsmile:

Good girl!! :drinker: :wink: