flax seed

Options
should i start eatting flax seed?? and if i should, do i get the pill, or the real stuff?:ohwell:

Replies

• nabrown382
    Options
    i've found that flax seed is a good way for me to get in some healthy fat during the day. i used to keep ground flax seed that i would just add to my oatmeal in the mornings, but now i take the capsules -- after a while, i couldn't deal with the texture of the ground flax in my oatmeal or anything else i added it to.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Flax is a great way to get in natural fats/oils and fiber. Use the real stuff for sure. Real is always better ;) I add ground flax to my smoothies and whole flax seeds to my yogurt with granola... It's pretty good and almost non existent in taste... can give off an oily texture but not to any extreme. :-D
  • valbar61
    valbar61 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I bought the real stuff and ground it in a coffie grinder. I sprinkle in oatmeal, on salds etc.

Just be careful in the beginning until your stomach adjust. Just like when you start eating lots of fiber it can play havec on your stomach.
  • sunbeam11
    Options
    I keep ground flaxseed on hand too and also add it to oatmeal and other stuff. Usually just a tablespoonful. If I bake a cake or bread, etc, I add in a couple there too. It has a pleasant, nutty flavor and you really won't taste it when it's mixed into other stuff. Great way to add fiber and omega-3's.
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    make sure if you use real flax seed, you get the whole seed and grind it yourself in a coffee or spice grinder. it needs to be ground up in order for your body to absorb the omegas. but if you get the pre-ground stuff, it can go rancid really quickly and it no longer has any of the benefits. just a heads up :)
  • Sara7Taylor
    Sara7Taylor Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yum! I love flax seeds! I don't get them ground....I get whole flax seeds! You can put them in almost anything! I like putting them in salads, muffins, and low carb pancakes!
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    should i start eatting flax seed?? and if i should, do i get the pill, or the real stuff?:ohwell:
    I have used whole flax seed (also called linseed) on my muesli, and have used flaxseed oil capsules to get my omega 3 oils (the important good oils). I do not mind tbevtaste of them in cereals etc at all
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    make sure if you use real flax seed, you get the whole seed and grind it yourself in a coffee or spice grinder. it needs to be ground up in order for your body to absorb the omegas. but if you get the pre-ground stuff, it can go rancid really quickly and it no longer has any of the benefits. just a heads up :)
    Absolutely- the fresher the better! :-D