Trying to get motivated....

jetergir20
jetergir20 Posts: 5
edited September 23 in Motivation and Support
I can't seem to get motivated. I really want to lose 30 pounds but my want is not enough to motivate me. I've sign up for 5k, have the Tour de Cure coming up in June, got the Xbox Kinect with multiple fitness games. I can't seem to push the start button. Wondering how you guys got motivated..care to share?

Replies

• Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    I signed up for a triathlon and then told EVERYONE I know that I was going to do it. That way, if I don't work hard to get ready or if I back out, I have to face them all and explain that I wussed out. Since then, I have been in the gym six days a week getting ready for my tri. You have to hold yourself accountable or find others to help do so. Hope this helps!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Ok, I see this all the time on the boards and I never ask this, what exactly does it mean to be motivated? or get motivated? or find motivation? I think some people might take me the wrong way or think I'm being *****y, but I'm wondering, when people say these things what exactly are they looking for people to tell them?

You want to lose 30 pounds. Your motivation lies in WHY you want to lose 30 pounds not that you just WANT to. It is different for every single one of us. A year ago I was your age also wanting to lose 25 pounds. I wanted to be healthy and live longer, but I REALLY wanted to wear a bikini on vacation. That was my motivation. Family & bikini. YOU have to decide what is the thing that is going to get you to eat right and exercise EVERY DAY. Is it that you've seen family members in a health crisis? You are showing early sings of health problems? You want to be the hottest girl on the beach? Skinny jeans? Simply signing up for a 5k may not be enough because you may not see the VALUE in training and finishing it. What has value? What is worth it???
    Then ask yourself, what the heck is keeping you from pushing the start button? I mean really! What is it???

Please please please know that I am writing this and asking these questions with the absolute intent of helping you find what will get you started and keep you going. We can all tell you thing like, "I just visualize shopping for new clothes" or "the look on my ex-boyfriend's face" but those are the things that motivate others. For me, I just do it. I just push play every single day. There is no discussion in my brain, no wondering if I should. My motivation is knowing that I'll feel crappy if I DON'T workout. That's it.
This discussion has been closed.