Low Carb vs. Low Fat

Options
Low carb diets vs. low fat diets: What do you think?

There's a lot of research out there about the benefits of both. What do you follow?

Replies

• Pragmatica
    Options
    Low Carb all the way. I have been ketogenic since October 2009, losing 141 pounds so far. I have done so much research on the subject and have tons of information. However, it seems that some people just have a hard time committing to low carb for life, and low fat works better for their body. I think it is more about what you can make a commitment with forever because that is what it takes to lose weight and keep it off.
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    I kind of do both, I do low carb because carbs make me hungry and protein keeps me full longer. I also have better success losing weight when I'm eating more protein. I do eat carbs, I've done no carbs before and just ended up really tired after a couple of weeks and wanting to binge on carbs, but I just try to make good carb choices and to not overdo it.

But I do try to watch my fat intake too, I think that's just part of trying to eat healthy, making choices that don't have too much fat. A lot of higher fat items also have more calories, so that makes me want to avoid them.
  • Mgustine
    Options
    I think it really depends how low carb you will go. If you eliminate carbs it can do horrible things to your liver. Everything in moderation is the best bet. I've read a couple of articles that read when participants tried different drastic diet changes they were more likely to gain the weight back than those who just ate a balances healthy meal. Good luck! P.S. A great book I've read by Gary Taubes "Good Calories Bad Calories" has done a great job of laying this healthy lifestyle out for me!
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Every person's physiology is different, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would say that refined sugars are good for you:wink: You can do low carb, but no carb is bad. Brain cells need carbs- they can't access the metabolites generated by the breakdown of fats. So, if you do very low-no carbs, it's not great for maintaining neurogenesis (making new brain cells). I do medium carbs but only whole grains- haven't eaten pasta, rice, or white bread in years. dl
  • Pragmatica
    Options
    Good Calories Bad Calories is a great book, but you would know that being low carb, even under 50g and ketogenic does not hurt your liver. That is a myth and there are many articles out there stating that fact.

Here is a great article by Gary Taubes that actually sheds a lot of light on the low carb/low fat debate, "Put simply, low-fat diets that also cut significant calories will cut carbohydrates significantly as well, and often by more than they cut fat.": http://www.garytaubes.com/2010/12/calories-fat-or-carbohydrates/

Here is a another article talking about ketosis and how natural it is for our bodies and why it works for weight loss: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/ketones-and-ketosis/metabolism-and-ketosis/

The misguided war on fat: http://www.slate.com/id/2248754/pagenum/all/
  • bangarangbree
    Options
    Thanks for all the good responses! Once I get all my blood work back from my last doctor trip, I think I'm going to visit a dietician and see what they say. A great part of college is all the free health support!
  • johaleesi
    johaleesi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Low Carb all the way. I have been ketogenic since October 2009, losing 141 pounds so far. I have done so much research on the subject and have tons of information. However, it seems that some people just have a hard time committing to low carb for life, and low fat works better for their body. I think it is more about what you can make a commitment with forever because that is what it takes to lose weight and keep it off.

Totally agree with what Pragmatica says here. I think it's all about what you can commit to and works for you. For me it's low carb all the way as well.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Low Carb is what works for me!! :)
  • katzplay62
    Options
    Low-carb. And I'm reading Gary Taubes' newest book "Why We Get Fat & What To Do About It."
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I think you have to be better in defining carb and fat. Eating a lot of "bad" fats isn't going to work. Whatever food you eat needs to be high quality ie: grass fed beef, Alaskan Salmon, free range chicken, eggs fortified with Omega 3. Eating peanut butter with trans fat or bacon with tons of nitrates is not going to make you healthy. If you can get bacon without the nitrates it is okay, and pure peanut butter or almond butter without additives is good.

As for carbs there is a big difference between roasted vegetables or a salad of just veggies versus a white bagel or even Special K which has high fructose corn syrup in it. Also there is a growing body of evidence that genetically modified foods lead to more food allergies and other health problems.

The best diet is one made up of real, whole foods. Some people find success cutting out dairy, meat or gluten. But other people eat those things all the time and are fine with it. Anything artificial is not so good and may hinder weight loss and keep you from ideal health. Shop the perimeter or the store and look for local Farmer's Markets
  • teena27
    teena27 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Count me in for Low Carb.

I lost 70 lbs on low carb and gained it ALL back because i bowed down to the pressures of my low fat friends and family. Since then, Gary Taubes has come on the scene and several medical journals have studied low carb and deemed it to be a better way of losing weight than low fat. I will NEVER make that mistake again.

In the 1970's, the scientific community believed that the world was headed for another ice age. Seeing as global warming is now the flavour of the day, I think science is always changing. For this reason, I will now follow the diet that works for me and makes sense.

Low carb or bust!!!
  • LaPanadera
    LaPanadera Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Low Carb is my preferred way, I just feel better, and I've got the bloodwork to prove it. On 1-24-11 I had blood work done. Then on 4-06-11, I had bloodwork again. My total cholesterol decreased from 230 to 203, my LDL decreasedt from 158 to 126, and my HDL increased from 66 to 71. Another bonus, I lost 12 pounds. I did it mostly for my cholesterol b/c both of my parents take meds for their high cholesterol and I didn't want to travel down that road.
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    I'm new to all this. Please educate me. What is low carb? What is Ketonics???..(sorry bad speller) and What would low fat be in com[arision to the others?
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Low Carb Baby!

Immediate results ... NO CRAVINGS therefore no binges = compliance to healthy eating consistently.

Am currently reading "Why We Get Fat ... and what to do about it" by Gary Taubes. I highly recommend this book. Chapter 18 - The Nature of a Healthy Diet ... go right here first.
    Just finished The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain.

I won't be returning to my old eating habits.
    This way is so much easier, tastier and faster and yes, healthier.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I don't know what percentage would constitute a low-carb or low-fat diet, and I myself don't follow either program (my macronutrient goals are 40% carb, 30% protein and 30% fat). However, based on conversations with my dietician and my understanding about metabolism, I'd say it's more important to be more cautious with carbs.

The rationale being: carbs are the only macronutrient that influences sugar levels, and thus insulin levels. Insulin prevents fat breakdown and promotes fat storage. When there's an intake of carbs (not accompanied by protein or fat), the insulin will rush the glucose into the cells, leaving little left in the bloodstream. Since carbs are the body's primary source of energy, this drop in sugar levels will lead to hunger pains, which leads to more eating, etc. In addition, carbs are digested most quickly, in comparison to proteins or fats, so satiety will not last as long.

I believe for weight loss, it's best to watch out for carb intake rather than fat intake (altho this doesn't justify eating whatever fattening foods you like :) ). For a woman, a meal should be around 3-4 carb servings (with each serving being 15g or the amount listed on a food exchange list), and a snack should be 1-2 carb servings. Ideally, the carbs would be low-glycemic such as steelcut oats which won't raise blood sugar levels as quickly.

So if you have a choice of 100 calories of low-fat cookies vs 100 calories worth of high-fat salmon, it's wiser to go with the protein, because it won't spike insulin levels like carbs will. And with eating healthy fats that increase satiety, your calorie intake by day's end could be lower than if you'd eaten carbs in their place.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I agree completely with hsinster.

I would like to add that no matter how you get your body to low calories, you will still gain weight if you eat more calories than you burn and you will lose weight if you eat less calories than you burn.

With that said, I think that it is MUCH more important to consider your "body composition" when losing weight than what the scale says. In other words, get your body fat % down to a level that is good for you and your doctor and you will be healthier than just getting your weight down.

My personal experience is: I counted calories only from Sept 1, 2010 to Jan 7, 2011. I lost 40 pounds and felt great but...I lost 5 inches from my chest and 6.5 inches from my belly and two inches from my neck. My bodyfat went from about 30% to 18%. Very good results to say the least but I was not happy with my appearance.

That's when I discovered the importance of Protein at every meal and lifting weights. (I was already doing cardio.) From that point to now, I lost 3 more inches off my waist, gained two inches on my chest, one inch on my neck. My bodyfat is about 11% and I am never out of energy and rarely hungry. I am a completely transformed person. More successful at work, at home, and with my friends.

My point in all that is I truly believe that the most important things to watch for in your diet are in this order: #1 Calories, #2 Protein, #3 Carbs, #4 Fat. I eat at least my bodyweight worth of Protein grams and get lots of complex carbs and essential fats. As long as you do that and stay under your calorie goal, the ratios will work themselves out.
  • beelee71
    beelee71 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I am new to this, just joined a couple of days ago. Not new to dieting however... sad to say. I have done literally every diet possible and lost weight on most. I finally got myself down to an "acceptable" weight and kept it off for a couple years. I would eat "clean" for 6 days and allow myself a free day... it worked for me. Then I got pregnant and had twins... they will be 3 this coming June... and I gained 110 pounds during the pregnancy. I have been struggling to get the weight back off.. and actually got myself back in the 170's,, and not sure what happened but I have let myself completly out of control since last summer.. and now I am HUGE!!

I tried low carb,since that always seemed to work for me in the past but for some reason it didnt really give me the results it had before. I am really struggling to see if I should count calories or carbs. I went out and bought a bunch of those Healhty Choice steamed meals for lunch, they are about 220 calores each and I add a cup of broc to it to bulk it up to make it more filling.

Trying to see if i should continue on this path or go low carb.. I thought for sure that would work for me again, not sure why it didnt..

Any help or advise is really appreciated... I am miserable at this weight and summer is around the corner!!!
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I am new to this, just joined a couple of days ago. Not new to dieting however... sad to say. I have done literally every diet possible and lost weight on most. I finally got myself down to an "acceptable" weight and kept it off for a couple years. I would eat "clean" for 6 days and allow myself a free day... it worked for me. Then I got pregnant and had twins... they will be 3 this coming June... and I gained 110 pounds during the pregnancy. I have been struggling to get the weight back off.. and actually got myself back in the 170's,, and not sure what happened but I have let myself completly out of control since last summer.. and now I am HUGE!!

I tried low carb,since that always seemed to work for me in the past but for some reason it didnt really give me the results it had before. I am really struggling to see if I should count calories or carbs. I went out and bought a bunch of those Healhty Choice steamed meals for lunch, they are about 220 calores each and I add a cup of broc to it to bulk it up to make it more filling.

Trying to see if i should continue on this path or go low carb.. I thought for sure that would work for me again, not sure why it didnt..

Any help or advise is really appreciated... I am miserable at this weight and summer is around the corner!!!

I believe that very low carb diets work because they keep hunger down and therefore you eat less calories. When very low carb diets don't work, it is often because people miss their bread and pasta and "fall off the wagon". When you are on a very low carb diet and have a carb binge, your body has a field day with it and makes you even more hungry. (I have a year of successful experience with the Atkins Diet. I read all the books about it and am a believer.)

I also know that a moderate diet of carbs, protein, and fat is also successful and much easier to stick with whether you are at a restaurant or eating at a friend's house or making your own meals. Beelee71, I think you should count calories keeping to about 20-30% under your maintenance calories each day. (Maintenance calories by my definition are the exact number of calories you burn each day sleeping, living, breathing, walking, and exercising). As long as you eat enough protein, you will not be hungry. Remember, it takes three weeks at a minimum to take actions and turn them into habits. Pick a program and stick with it for at least three weeks before deciding it doesn't work.
  • beelee71
    beelee71 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi DaddyMantz,

Thank you so much for your help, you are so right... I did fall off the wagon.. I will really have to think about what I can stick to and stick with it!!

Thank you so much!!
  • Kimrenaud
    Kimrenaud Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Well I am on a diabetic diet......1200 cal per day......120 carbs per day.......low fat........0- low sugar.......high fiber so I would say both. The key is eating 5 times a day .....30 carbs Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and 2- 15 carb snacks. Lean and green. I focus on this and it has really worked for me almost to 60lbs.. I find it easy to do and even after a year I am still on it. For me its a life style change not a diet. This is what I have to do till I get off diabetic meds. I dont want to be diabetic anymore......I dont want to die,have heart attack,go blind, have kidney failure or lose my limbs.......so thats my encouragment!