350 at 18.

Options
Hey, Im Emma.
I am 18 and moved to california 2 months ago from arizona.
growing up i was extremely spoiled, and because my mom didnt have things when she was growing up.. including food..
she decided to give me whatever i wanted whenever i wanted...
probably not the best idea.
i am 18 and weight close to 350 lbs. The most i have weighed is 375 ( i think)
im trying this website because i have heard a lot of good things about it and i want to be able to know how much im taking in and this site makes it incredibly easy.

if you have any tips.. please share them :)
i will check this everyday :)

share your stories too please!!
xoxo,
Emma

Replies

• Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    I was over 300 lbs in my teens and finally reached 432 lbs in my 20's. this site is very helpful and has lots of support to give. Welcome and good luck.
  • xoxoultraviolet
    Options
    thank you :)
    its nice to have support <3
  • kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    This site is amazing :o)
    Although... food & exercise comes along with it!
    The support you get is soo good!
    congrats xD the first step i guess is realising, this is it. I need to lose weight!
  • turntechBiologist
    turntechBiologist Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I went through the exact same thing growing up. My mom spoiled me to death, and gave me anything I cried for. At 18 I was around 330. And my highest weight was 372 when I was 20. Thanks to a summer job I managed to slim down to 335, but then got up to 342.6. And of course I made up a little diet plan of my own that I'm still following and got down to 334 and now I'm down to 329.6 so far :)

I try to get 30 minutes of exercise everyday, but since I'm constantly on my feet at the warehouse I work at I mainly do 15 minutes in the morning before I leave. I have almond milk with my oatmeal, 35 calorie toast, and organic butter.

I'm not exactly sure what tips I should give you, but if you ever have questions about anything feel free to ask! ^_^
  • Shanny_Marie
    Shanny_Marie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I think this website is great for tracking your food. When i first started tracking my food I was astonished by how many calories I was shoving in my mouth each day. I am now able to make better decisions about what food I choose and am able to eat all day long if i choose to. i just started using this site, but I also utilize the website www.livestrong.com. I find that the support in some of the groups I have joined help me tremendously especially on the really hard days. The best group I have joined there is called: Go Diet GO(I beleive). The girls there are all there for different reasons but are all on the same page somehow. When I was not losing and was frustrated one of the members was able to boost my spirits and also look at my food diary and notice that certain things in my diet were higher than usual such as my sodium intake was really high during those days. I had not payed attention to this detail cause I thought if i just watched how many calories and how much fat i was taking in I would be alright and lose weight, But I took her advice and became more aware of my sodium intake and have started losing weight again. Great support there anyways. Good luck on your journey. Remember it took a lot of years to learn bad habits and put on the weight and it will not come off over night and you will have ups and downs and at times want to give up, but just keep trucking and maybe set a goal (realistic) for yourself and remind yourself of it everyday(like getting a new pair of jeans when lose 20lbs or something like that) Those are great reminders and motivators. Well I didn't mean to write a book. Good Luck and can't wait to hear about your success.
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Welcome. You'll find all the support you need here. DO more than visit. Come stay a while, chat and learn. I have met everything from doctors to nutrition experts here all free and all at your disposal. Set you goals and go for it.
  • xoxoultraviolet
    Options
    thank you guys... all of you. you all are great! :D

i hope that everyone can loose what they want to :)
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm sorry you didn't have the best example growing up. But now you are 18 and can take matters into your OWN hands and learn how to be independent. Start by doing your own grocery shopping and looking at labels. You'll love this site it has helped so many people get healthy and monitor what they are eating and excersizing! Best of luck on your journey :)
  • km2830
    km2830 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Emma - Welcome!

I am new to this site myself and am amazed at how useful it is. I was always a yo-yo dieter and tried various deprivation diets. I found out very quickly that they don't work for me. When I changed my outlook and began to focus on how I can be healthier and feel more confident instead of just be skinny (which I'll never be - I'm on the curvy side) I began to feel different. I made small positive changes over time that I have become pretty permanent: replacing almost all soda and sugary drinks with water, drinking just one cup of coffee a day, including a lot more fresh produce in my diet, and experimenting with new recipes. I am still working on making exercise more regular and fun (I hope to take a dance class) but I feel much more confident in myself now than ever.

My general advice is this: If you find that more extreme techniques or drastic diet changes aren't working for you, than try to make at least one healthy change and stick with it. As it becomes second nature, bump it up or add another. And don't give up because of a bad day or two! Each day is a chance to start fresh. Best of luck!
  • xoxoultraviolet
    Options
    thanks Km :)

ive tried EVERYTHING...
    when i was probably 15 i was having uberly bad cramps
    3 months of dr's visits and 2342342134 ultrasounds later... they say i have a "fatty liver"
    so i cant take tylenol or anything like it.

i though .. alright...

then the end of 2009 i just couldnt eat. it hurt to eat... about 7 months of drs again and numerous test they say that my gallbladder had to go bye bye. so i had surgery to have it removed... ( hurt sooo bad)

because of not being able to eat with my gallbladder i lost 60 lbs. then i gained 40 of it back. horrible.. i know..

now im at 350ish. im not sure i will find out on the 1st because thats my 1st drs apointment.. i need to get a scale!!!

ive tried extreme dieting.
    when i was 16 i was in weight watchers and i GAINED WEIGHT!
    it sucked!

thank you guys so much for the advice and for the support...!!!!!!!
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    Hey,

welcome to this wonderful site :-)

My advice is: take small steps. Don't try to change things drastically, that only leads to giving up. Slowly changing quantities you eat, exercise you do, chosing healthier food... but do it slowly, with small steps.
    Give your body time to get used to changes.
    It will take terribly long to lose weight this way, but the longer it takes, the better it is!

Good luck!

MM
  • Glos_Bloke
    Options
    Hi there!

Welcome to the site! I'm in my first week also, with a lot of weight to shift.

My advice is to make lots of friends and interact with them for support and motivation. It's also a lot of fun!

Add me as a friend if you want to :smile:

Best of luck on your journey. You CAN do it!

Warren
  • ChantalC1969
    ChantalC1969 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hey, Im Emma.
    I am 18 and moved to california 2 months ago from arizona.
    growing up i was extremely spoiled, and because my mom didnt have things when she was growing up.. including food..
    she decided to give me whatever i wanted whenever i wanted...
    probably not the best idea.
    i am 18 and weight close to 350 lbs. The most i have weighed is 375 ( i think)
    im trying this website because i have heard a lot of good things about it and i want to be able to know how much im taking in and this site makes it incredibly easy.

if you have any tips.. please share them :)
    i will check this everyday :)

share your stories too please!!
    xoxo,
    Emma

Hi Emma!

I happy that you made the decision to lose weight at 18... I waited till I was 41 to do it... so i'm still doing it... NOW is the right time! You will have to make changes everyday... Don't change everything at once or you will get discourage and quit! Tell yourself that THIS IS NOT A DIET... instead tell yourself that THIS IS A NEW WAY OF LIVING...

Your first few steps should be to:
    EAT THREE TO SIX MEALS A DAY
    EAT AT LEAST YOUR MINIMUM CALORIES PER DAY
    DRINK AT LEAST 8 GLASSES OF WATER EVERYDAY
    ENTER ALL YOUR FOOD IN YOUR JOURNAL

I am no expert... I am telling you this because I learn the hard way... I'm still learning...

I have lost 43 lbs so far but still a long long way to go... My first BIG goal is to lose 50 lbs... I have never lost 50 lbs in my entire life... I know I can do this and so do you!

We can do this together if you want... I have great friends on here that are there everyday to encourage, celebrate and answer my questions along the way! It does help to stay on track!!! If you fail today, tomorrow is another day... Just do better the next day... Everyday is a new battle! It sure ain't easy but It's for the best!

Just have fun doing it...You are 18 and you don't want to be trap in that body forever! Right?

Best of luck on your weight loss journey! Be strong!

Let's do this together!

Chantal:flowerforyou: