The Trenta Freaks Me Out

Options
America, *why* do we need a 31oz sized coffee drink? Come on, people. Calm down. One cup at a time!! The average human stomach can only hold 30oz.

Here's another disturbing fact I found out -- the Trenta size iced coffee actually has 220 calories and 42g of sugar. Was anyone else surprised to find out that Starbucks sweetens their iced coffee with simple sugar? Here I had been thinking it was 5 calories, like regular coffee. You need to ask for it unsweetened.

Finally, before I dismount my high horse, remember to ask your Starbucks to recycle. Most people throw those cups away. That Trenta cup could house a whole village, so recycle it!

Replies

• strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I can barely stomach a small from Starbucks, but a Trenta? I never even knew this existed. I bet we will see it mainly used over the summer when people decide to get their fat free fraps with extra whip cream...

P.S. to all those who don't know...the whip cream is the worst part of the drink.

**Update** I actually just googled it and it seems it will be only for iced drinks and coming out May 3rd...so I feel my prediction about it being used for those fraps isn't far off....wow....
  • Kelleinna
    Kelleinna Posts: 160
    Options
    Why is it called a trenta if it's 31 oz.?? Shouldn't that be a trent'uno? ("Trenta" being Italian for "thirty". "Venti", is Italian for 20, so I was relieved to find out that the Venti size at Starbucks actually IS 20 oz.)

Sorry, I'm a language nerd. Had to point that out... lol.
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    @Kelleinna - lol you language nerd! Don't forget the average customer at Starbucks probably had no idea where Venti came from. Hehe...

Okay so I have to add, I stand corrected again and these large drinks will only be available for the iced teas...according to their homepage....they say it will still be 90 calories for the unsweetened teas and 230 for the sweetened (eeks!)....

Why do I see a future of fraps in them though?
  • Kelleinna
    Kelleinna Posts: 160
    Options
    Because Starschmucks will do anything they can to get you to pay them more money.... lol. I have no idea how much they charge for things now (as I am not a coffee drinker), but I know it's more than should be charged for coffee. :)

I'm still annoyed about their sizes though... in what language does "grande" mean "medium"? And since when does "tall" mean "small"? Isn't that kind of the opposite of what "tall" means? lol
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Lucky for us here in California they've been available since Jan 18, so as soon as I finish mine I'm going to use the cup for a Jacuzzi.
  • VezNo1
    VezNo1 Posts: 83
    Options
    This trenta thing is being talked about on the radio here, in the context of anti obesity and trying to improve the nations dietry habits. I guess its all about choice, personaly I think the recession here will put it to bed. I can't see people paying the price as I guess it will be over £5 for a bucket (sorry Trenta) of coffee here in the UK.

For me if I am paying over £5 for a drink, it must be a cocktail and a lot more fun than a belly full of coffee!!!
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I thought this was an April Fools joke from last year. They're really doing it?

@Kelleinna - Starschmucks! That's funny! I started referring to Applebee's as Crapplebee's. So far, it hasn't caught on nationwide :laugh:
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    If trenta means 30 like it was suggested then wouldnt they be serving 29 oz instead of 31 if they were trying to screw us and make more money?

Just sayin'

:P
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    @Kelleinna - lol you language nerd! Don't forget the average customer at Starbucks probably had no idea where Venti came from. Hehe...

Okay so I have to add, I stand corrected again and these large drinks will only be available for the iced teas...according to their homepage....they say it will still be 90 calories for the unsweetened teas and 230 for the sweetened (eeks!)....

Why do I see a future of fraps in them though?

There is something terribly wrong with a 90 calorie unsweetened tea. The tea I make at home I drink at least 64 - 96 ounces and is 0 calories!!!

The only thing I ever get from Starbucks is plain, black coffee, so no calories for me........

And the whipped cream isn't bad for us in the drink.

The worst part of the drink is the sugar or artificial sweetener that is used. Whipped cream is just cream that is whipped (or should be) so it is natural occurring, nothing unhealthy there...........
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...coffee with vanilla whipped cream (homemade) is one of my all-time favorite treats!