For those with polar HRM

jaycee76
jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi

I have a polar FT4 and have been using it now for a few months. In the last few weeks I have exercised more and noticed that the calorie burn has increased for the same workouts. Is it normal for this to happen (is it the fitter you get the more calories you burn doing the same workout) and how does the hrm know this because I have not noticed much difference in my heart rate.
I am burning approx 50 more calories per workout - I know its not much but I am worried it could be a problem with my HRM itself?
Thanks in advance for any answers x

Replies

• katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Have you been working harder during them? What does your AVG heart rate, and highest heart rate say for the workout? That could easily account for the extra calories!
  • jaycee76
    Have you been working harder during them? What does your AVG heart rate, and highest heart rate say for the workout? That could easily account for the extra calories!

Many Thanks. Stupid me did not know I could look at that! Just figured it out after reading your post and will keep a check on this x
  • You can look at your max and avg rate, time spent in the target zone per workout. You also can scroll through past workouts and view the same to compare how it may be changing. You ALSO can look at your totals since you began wearing it.

Now, that doesn't address your question. Have you updated your details on the watch since you started. I'm sure you've lost some weight and different weights burn different calories. If you weigh less but the watch thinks you weigh more............. :ohwell:
  • jaycee76
    You can look at your max and avg rate, time spent in the target zone per workout. You also can scroll through past workouts and view the same to compare how it may be changing. You ALSO can look at your totals since you began wearing it.

Now, that doesn't address your question. Have you updated your details on the watch since you started. I'm sure you've lost some weight and different weights burn different calories. If you weigh less but the watch thinks you weigh more............. :ohwell:

I have checked that my details are up to date. It does look as though I have been working out harder. I guess it is down to being slightly fitter.

I MUST READ INSTRUCTION BOOK IN FUTURE lol !! - I did not need to know this at the time of my purchase, all I cared about was how much I burnt! Lesson learned!
  • I MUST READ INSTRUCTION BOOK IN FUTURE lol !! - I did not need to know this at the time of my purchase, all I cared about was how much I burnt! Lesson learned!

LOL! I read mine a month later. Did you know you are supposed to wet the pads on the inside of the band before your workout? The band should be snug? You should rinse the band after every workout? You should avoid twisting the band so as not to break the electrode wires inside? I read all that AFTER using it for a month. :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.