Running Question: Looking for Speed

alleyg4
alleyg4 Posts: 26
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi! I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me. I used to run 8 min miles but after training for a marathon then taking two years off I have become very slow. I was originally planning to run another marathon this spring but am starting to rethink it so I can concentrate on getting fast instead. Do you think I can break my 10-11 minute mile pace if I retrain myself on the treadmil. I was thinking I would do the below workout but I am wondering if anyone has a different idea or if you even think this will work. Thanks in advanced for all your suggestions. :-)

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-261--9397-3-1X5-3,00.html

Replies

• sblowes
    sblowes Posts: 66 Member
    I'm not a fan of running on the treadmill unless you're just getting started, or you really have no other option. It just doesn't give you an accurate gauge of your speed, since it's setting the pace for you. The best tool I've found for increasing my pace is the iPhone/droid app RunKeeper Pro. It's usually $10, but free until the end of the month. While you're running, it will duck your music every 5 minutes to tell you your current pace, how far you've run, etc. In just a month I've been able to go from a 10+ minute mile to a 9:15 on 6–7 mile runs. I'm signing up for my first marathon in November in Cape Canaveral.
  • wanna_be_fit
    wanna_be_fit Posts: 1,516 Member
    The best tool I've found for increasing my pace is the iPhone/droid app RunKeeper Pro. It's usually $10, but free until the end of the month. While you're running, it will duck your music every 5 minutes to tell you your current pace, how far you've run, etc.

Thanks, sblowes! I just downloaded this app and it looks like it will be a great one. Can't wait for it to warm up so I can try it outside!!!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    In order to go faster, you have to run faster.
    And in my experience running fast on a treadmill is difficult.

Interval “speed” work is probably your best option to increasing your speed. You’ll also have to build up your ability to carry that speed over a distance.
    I found the book “run fast” by hal higdon to be helpful. He provides a lot of information.
This discussion has been closed.