Vegetarian - Need new ideas

Options
janiebeth
janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
I've recently stopped eating meat, primarily to support my daughter, but am running out of ideas now that I have exhausted pasta, stir fry, and soup. Anybody have any good vegetarian recipes I could try?

thanks a bunch. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Replies

• SimonsGirl
    Options
    BUMP
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Check out 101cookbooks.com, lots of great recipes there.... I personally love her Otsu recipe and her recipe for cabbage soup is also a favourite!
  • YeahMe
    YeahMe Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Boca Burgers! I love them. . .and I am not even a vegetarian! LOL
  • Jesseann
    Jesseann Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree with YeahMe, Boca burgers are delicious!!! I am a vegetarian, I haven't eaten meat since June, 2010 and I love it. I have about three vegetarian recipes on my page under recipes, feel free to try them...
  • snerk
    snerk Posts: 51
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian, but I did make this dish the other nite. Was really tasty, even satisfied my meat eating husband!!

1 box of Catelli multigrain spagetti
    1 jar Classico Sundried tomato pasta sauce
    1 500ml 1% cottage cheese
    6 cups spinach (measured in fresh form)
    2 cups green pepper
    2 cups red pepper
    medium yellow onion
    1 lg zuchinni
    3 oz of skim mozzarella
    olive oil pam

boil pasta, microwave spinach for 4 minutes, drain. Cut up all veggies, i made em chunky. Sautee in pan, with pam, till they get a little color and soften a bit..depends on preference. Toss pasta, veggies, sauce, cottage cheese, and spinach in lg bowl. lay out in rectangular pan evenly. Top with the mozza cheese. Bake in oven at about 400*F for about 15 -20 mins.
    Made 8 servings.
    Each serving came out to 317 cals, 6.9g of fat, 44.8g of carbs, 7.5g of fiber, 8.4 g of sugar and 19.3 g of protien

Note...Is super tasty leftover too
  • kioga86
    kioga86 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of really good meat replacement options out there, but be careful with the sodium levels! My girlfriend and I do a lot of vegetarian eating (though we still do fish and fowl too), and have found that the meat replacement products tend to have very high sodium content!

Also, if you're looking for recipes, here's a GREAT website. We have tried several of the recipes here, and they were great!
    http://www.ivu.org/recipes/
  • PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    We love sweet potato burritos. Neither of us are into spice so DH adds bbq sauce, cheese, and baked beans to his, and I usually put garlic, onion, and any combo of spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, or carrots in mine. Boil the potatoes and prepare as if you're going to have them mashed. Then add whatever ingredients you wish, stuff into a tortilla and bake for about 10 minutes on 400 degrees.
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    i've been a vegetarian about 5yrs, i do eat fish & eggs; but mostly beans.
    if u like chick peas, add carrots & cauliflower and do like a stew
    i also do different beans with corn as a chili, just spice it up
    boca & morning star carry lots of delish products
    i love being a veggie
    veggie pizza
    bean & cheese burrito u just have 2 b creative
    good luck & enjoy
  • odaatsue
    Options
    I love, love, love the recipes here: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

Yum!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Butternut Squash and Lentil Casserole

Ok, this is one of my absolute favourites. It has a great balance of protein to carbs, and is low in fat and - even better - low in calories. I should add that I lost weight through a combination of educating myself about nutrition and the phenomenon of calorie counting. The way our body works is far too complicated to ignorantly assume that even accurate calorie counting is a sure-fire method of ensuring that we lose weight, but it is a fantastic guideline to ensure you are eating at a defecit.

I found this recipe on CC and it sounded crazy! Butternut squash, garlic and cranberries!? But I was curious so I had to try it. Sure enough, with a little tweaking, it was a taste-bud sensation!

Butternut Squash and Lentil Casserole
    Serves: 6
    500g Butternut Squash
    1 1/2 cups green lentils
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    3 cloves garlic
    3g thyme
    400g tomatoes, tinned
    100g dried cranberries
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 onion
    1 chicken stock cube
    400 ml water

Boil the lentils in the chicken stock cube and water for 1 hour.
    Roast the squash in chunks in the oven for 30 mins.
    Warm the oil and add finely chopped garlic and coarsley chopped onion.
    Add the squash and any fluids which may have come off during roasting.
    Drain the lentils, reserving the stock and adding it to the pan.
    When the squash begings to break up a little, add the lentils and tin of tomatoes.
    Simmer for 20 mins then add cinnamon,nutmeg, thyme & cranberries.
    Mix well and leave to simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until the squash has almost completely broken down and the sauce has thickened.

227 calories per serving, 0.2g F, 0.0g SF, 44.2g C, 6.9g S, 10.1g Fb, 11.9g P

This freezes well and refridgerates for up to 3 days. I know the combination of flavours sounds crazy, I was skeptical too, but it really tastes delicious! I eat it on its own, its quite a large portion. Would perhaps go well with a small green salad, and maybe some bulgur wheat or brown rice if you fancy some starchy carbs/grains.

This Blog
    This Blog

Friday, 21 May 2010
    Nutty Veggie Burgers
    These are yummy, even my very loyal meat-eater boyfriend approved them! they go great with a yoghurt sauce, or a chutney in a wholemeal bun or pitta.

Nutty Veggie Burgers
    Serves: 9 burgers
    240g chick peas, basically 1 drained tin.
    1 onion
    2 cloves garlic
    1 egg
    2 tbsp cornmeal
    1 courgette
    1 yellow pepper
    1 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    50g almonds
    pinch of salt and pepper

Boil the chickpeas for 20 mins to soften them as much as possible. Then drain them and allow to cool.
    Put the courgette, garlic, deseeded pepper, and the onion into a magic bullet/blender(you may need to chop them into small pieces first depending on your blender) with the egg, and a few tablespoons of water.
    Add the paprika, cumin, turmeric, and salt and pepper.
    Remove this mixture and put it into a large mixing bowl.
    Now put the cooled chickpeas into the bullet/blender and blitz into a smoothish paste (you may need to add a little water, or sdo this in small batches).Then add this to the mixing bowl.
    Roast the almonds in the oven for 15 minutes, making sure they don't burn. Then chop them, but not too finely and add to the mixing bowl.
    Give it a good stir and then add in the cornmeal, and mix well.
    Line an oven tray with baking sheet and shape the mix into 9 palm-size balls, which you can then flatten into burgers and put on the baking sheet.
    Leave the tray in the fridge for an hour or so, then transfewr them to a pre-heated 180 degree oven.
    Cook the burgers for 20 minutes, then turn them over with care and roast for a firther 5-10 minutes, so that they go golden brown on both sides.

92 calories per serving, 3.7g F, 0.4g SF, 12.0g C, 1.2g S, 2.8g Fb, 3.9g P

Chickpea and Spinach Curry

My family loves it when I cook this! There are 3 servings because I eat it on its own as a meal, but if you have it with rice, or pilau bulgur as I occasionally do, you can half the portion size. This is so incredibly low calorie for a huge portion and one of the meals I tend to make in bulk and keep in the freezer for a while. It really is delicious! Don't be daunted by all the herbs and spices, they are all great for using with other things.

Chickpea and Spinach Curry
    Serves: 3
    240g chick peas, canned, drained weight (basically one tin)
    400g tomatoes, canned
    100g spinach
    8 mushrooms
    1 onion
    2g yellow mustard seeds
    5g paprika
    5g cumin
    2g ginger
    2g garam masala
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    1g pepper
    1 small red pepper
    1 small green pepper
    2 small yellow pepper

Heat the oil in the bottom of a large pan.
    Add the mustard seeds on low temperature
    When the mustard seeds start to pop add in the sliced onions garlic and ginger with a little water.
    When the onions soften add in the mushrooms and peppers.
    Add in the spices and herbs and cover for 5 mins until all the veg is soft.
    Add in the chickpeas and cover for 5 more mins.
    Add in the chopped tomatoes and stir well.
    After 5 or so mins add the spinach (about 6/7 lumps frozen).
    Mix the spinach in so its covered by the sauce.
    Cover it up but keep stirring every few mins.
    It can be served as soon as the spinach is cooked (i.e. not frozen in big lumps, but flavour intensifies the longer you simmer it for.
    It may need simmering without the lid to reduce the wateriness of the sauce.

240 calories per serving, 7.4g F, 0.9g SF, 38.2 C, 8g S, 9.5 Fb, 9.8g P

http://heavling.blogspot.com/search/label/Spinach
  • kyoules
    kyoules Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 14 years and have several vegetarian cookbooks, but my favorite is Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Mollie Katzen. http://www.amazon.com/Enchanted-Broccoli-Katzens-Classic-Cooking/dp/1580081266 You can get it used on Amazon for $6.

I like that she has directions on cooking all different types of grains and beans, great bread making tips, etc., in addition to the recipes. I've loved everything I've made from this cookbook and so has my meat-eating husband. The one drawback I see is there isn't nutritional information included for the recipes, but it isn't too hard to plug the ingredients in on here to figure it out.

Some of our favorites:
    Cheese Enchiladas with Surprises p 142 (Best enchiladas I've ever had!)
    Tofu fried rice p 220 (Great flavor from ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce, green onions)
    Sweet and sour tofu with cashews p 181
    Potato-leek soup p 17
    150% whole wheat bread p 72

Also, Weight Watchers has a great vegetarian cookbook called Down to Earth. The recipes include nutrition facts and points.
    Favorites from this book:
    Bean and Goat Cheese Tostadas with Mango Salsa (Includes Mango salsa recipe, which totally makes the dish)

Penne with Tofu-basil pesto (My first time using Silken tofu, amazing!!! Tastes like a very naughty/rich alfredo!)

1 c fresh basil leaves
    6 oz firm silken tofu
    1/4 c (1 oz) FF or soy Parmesan cheese, grated or shredded
    2 TBS olive oil
    2 TBS lemon juice
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 large garlic clove, minced
    2.5 c sliced fresh cremini mushrooms (I don't like mushrooms so I leave those out and sometimes add tomatoes instead)
    1/4 c minced shallot
    4 c hot cooked whole-wheat penne pasta(about 8 oz uncooked)

Combine first 8 ingredients (through salt) in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Spoon mixture into a small skillet over low heat until warm. Remove from heat and keep warm.

Heat remaining 1 tsp olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and shallot; saute about 4 minutes.

Combine tofu mixture, mushroom mixture, and pasta in a large bowl; toss gently.