For people doing ZUMBA with an HRM

Krys_T
Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I just wanted to know..since I have not purchased a HRM yet...how many calories are you all burning doing Zumba? If you could please reply with how many calories and your current weight(because I know this matters). Thanks so much for the help!

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    The problem is that Zumba classes vary a LOT in intensity (depending on how good the teacher is)

Me, at 150, I burn around 400-600 calories in a challenging class according to my armband. (bodymedia)

I have taken a 1,000 calorie class...and I must tell you that this is in "Oh my God! I see my Grandma standing in the light at the end of the tunnel!!!" territory, and I'm in very good shape. Instructors love to throw the "1,000 calories an hour" around...but it is an exaggeration for the most part.
  • Weight 233 5'1

Zumba Cardio party- I usually burn 500
    Zumba 20 minute- I usually burn from 200-240 depending on how hard I push it
    Zumba Sculpt and tone- 440
    Zumba Abs- 185

Edited to Add: I have a watch HRM. The ones with the chest strap are supposed to be more accurate. If you are purchasing one something to research before you buy.
  • Love my HRM and it was only $40 on Amazon. Timex, WITH a chest strap.
  • Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    The problem is that Zumba classes vary a LOT in intensity (depending on how good the teacher is)

Me, at 150, I burn around 400-600 calories in a challenging class according to my armband. (bodymedia)

I have taken a 1,000 calorie class...and I must tell you that this is in "Oh my God! I see my Grandma standing in the light at the end of the tunnel!!!" territory, and I'm in very good shape. Instructors love to throw the "1,000 calories an hour" around...but it is an exaggeration for the most part.

I agree with this! My current class though I get about 650-750 and I'm 5'11 and 204. She's right though, it depends on the instructor, music etc.

Good luck
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Im 183 and usually I burn between 500-700 in my Saturday class.....On Thursday 600-800 different teachers.
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    My instructor started as a "Zumba" instructor last year and this year she broke off into her own business and now I go to "Fuzion". It's like Zumba on steroids :) We do all kinds of styles, Bollywood, Hip Hop, Soca and of course Latin!

So here are my stats:
    Weight - 171
    Length of class - 50 to 60 mins
    HRM reading - 486cal to 520cal

My heart rate is always around 85% and I'm sweating like a MoFo - but I WORK it during class. I love love love dancing!!!
  • qtwells82
    qtwells82 Posts: 352
    Love my HRM and it was only $40 on Amazon. Timex, WITH a chest strap.

ooooo thanks for the info....getting one myself :bigsmile:
  • emichan21
    emichan21 Posts: 17 Member
    I burn 700-1200 calories per class with two different teachers. I would say that I average 850 for most classes. I burn about 350 per 20 minutes using Wii Zumba. I use the strapless Bowflex HRM watch. Remember, everyone is different! You'll just have to buy a HRM to know what your number is.
  • At 5'7" and 220 with my Polar FT2 and chest strap:

Zumba Express: 250 for 20mins
    Zumba Cardio: 700ish

I haven't gotten to the other ones yet because I just got it but I really really love the Zumba. I really like my HRM as well because it beeps at me when I get below the proper heart rate and that tells me that I'm not bringing it hard enough!!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Definatly varies... I do ZUmba with Wii and burn 300-400 fr 20 minutes.
  • tburnett80
    tburnett80 Posts: 77 Member
    I have a polar f7 that tells me when I'm doing Zumba for the wii, in 20mins i burn around 230ish calories.
  • honeybee709
    honeybee709 Posts: 40 Member
    I'm 5-4, 208lbs and I burn between 650-750 cals depending on how hard I work :)
  • amie1004
    amie1004 Posts: 65 Member
    I use a Polar F6...I'm 5'3" at 205....in a 55 minute Zumba class (live) I burn about 620 calories.
  • annie422
    annie422 Posts: 114 Member
    I weigh 126 and I do an hour long class. I've only been doing it for a short time so I know as I learn the steps better I'll be able to get into it even more - more power vs watching lagging a bit behind watching the steps evolve.

I burn between 350 and 375 per my HRM.
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    I use an HRM with a chest strap. I am 5'6, 188 lbs. I burn between 700-850 (for a 60 minute class) depending on the dance routines chosen for the class and if we start/end on time :) when I was heavier (I started at 243) I burned up to 900-1000 calories in a class. Lately I've been trying to amp up my energy and "bounce" a bit more to burn more calories.
  • dino1147
    dino1147 Posts: 178 Member
    I do Zumba Wii 20 minutes, 5'6 1/2 and 213 lbs, I burn around 230 to 260 calories
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Glad you posted this. I am going to a Zumba class tonight without a HRM so I have no idea what to put down! I guess I will just have to guesstimate.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    I havne't done a class, but my HRM says that for Wii Zumba I burn around 100 calories every 20 minutes (200 for 40 minutes). I'm 5'5" 146lbs and get very good marks (usually get to the 2nd bonus points section), but I don't go super crazy.
This discussion has been closed.