What to do with Greek Yogurt?

Options

Replies

• roxybubbles
    Options
    It makes a yummy chicken tikka marinade, add chilli powder, garam masala, 1in ginger chopped, 2 garlic cloves, 1 beaten egg and the juice of a lime/lemon. Cube the chicken breast and prick with a fork, marinade for several hours then thread onto skewers and grill. I had this for dinner at the weekend with a green salad and cucumber and mint raita, delish!
  • slim4lyf
    slim4lyf Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    1 cup comes with lots of calories, even the lowfat version. I found that 1/2 cup goes a long way, and besides using it for Greek Cooking, makes a great Parfait, or Spread on whole Grain Bread. Just add some fresh chopped Chives to it, a sprinkle of salt ( careful), and enjoy :happy:
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I just read every post...I am really craving tzatsiki now...do you guys know if you're suppose to 'whip' the yogurt then fold in the mixture or just fold everything in together?
  • mandaz_32
    mandaz_32 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    we love greek yogurt!
  • Jasarah
    Options
    It is absolutely a replacement for sour cream, just make sure to get the 0%. And I also agree with the breakfast parfait. I usually put a tiny bit of honey, or granola and some fresh fruit on top. I'll also substitute some greek yogurt and/or applesauce in place of oil when I bake, especially breads.
  • jenni185
    Options
    I mix it into my morning oatmeal with a little bit of milk. I use it as a replacement as much as possible. I really don't like the taste so I have to "hide" it in my food most of the time. But it's healthy and easily disguised :)
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have used it as sourcream on chicken nachos, and I also have used the ranch mix powder and stirred it into some of the yogurt and used it as a dip for carrots!
  • LizardIsANerd
    Options
    I just read every post...I am really craving tzatsiki now...do you guys know if you're suppose to 'whip' the yogurt then fold in the mixture or just fold everything in together?

I buy premade tzatziki. :( Can't be of much help. (But I can say it makes great low-cal tuna salad!)

Also the Oikos kind that comes with honey in it is SOOOOOO good. It comes in a 4pk and has 90 cals and 10 g protein, I believe.

As for using it in place of sour cream - I had it on my taco salad last night mixed with some salsa - it was great!!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

I just fold it all together
  • dawnslaughter
    Options
    i use greek yoghurt in place of cream
  • peimomof2
    peimomof2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to give Greek Yogourt a try. All these recipes sound yummy!! :)
  • Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting. Bump
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    1 serving of greek yogurt (your preferred flavor)
    1/2 serving of cottage cheese
    1 tbls of flax
    1 tbls of granola (your preferred flavor)
    a splash of what ever milk you use
    ... blend and Voila! you have a power packed breakfast high in protein with lots of fiber! It's delicious!

(I've used vanilla greek yogurt and bare naked chocolate granola and blueberry greek yogurt with bare naked plain granola)
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I bought some greek yogurt. When I opened the container, I could not get past the smell. I sorta smelled like vomit :sick: --sorry to use a yucky sounding word, but that is what it smelled like to me. I hope you have a better experience than I did.
  • harleyhead63
    Options
    Got one for ya!

1 cup of plain greek yogurt, stir in 1 tablespoon of dillweed, 1 and1/2 tablespoon lemon juice, and a clove of garlick, minced and mashed. Let that sit, and cook two salmon steaks in the oven, with a bit of lemon juice on top, and sprinkled with dill weed and garlick powder, at 400 degrees for 12 minutes. Put the dill sauce over the salmon steaks, and enjoy!! Your tongue will slap your brains out!!! If you like capers, put a bit on top.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I usually just use it for yogurt.. with some frozen fruit (that has un-thawed) and recently began adding it to my protein shakes. These suggestions sound boring now after reading all the other fabulous ideas and recipes. I need to buy more greek yogurt so I can try them all!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    for the post mentioning greek yogurt was very sour or bitter... i would SO try a different brand.
    With the greek yogurt being so rich and delicious you can easily still use the full fat brands...

i use Olympic Krema.. greek style yogurt.. and it is to die for!!!!
    So rich, creamy and .... good for me!

i use it to replace mayo and sourcream... it is actually BETTER than sour cream!

a dollop of it on top of chili, or soup .. on top of grapefruit... ANYthing sweet or savoury.. i've tried it on so many things, and not found anything yet i did not love it on...
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Got one for ya!

1 cup of plain greek yogurt, stir in 1 tablespoon of dillweed, 1 and1/2 tablespoon lemon juice, and a clove of garlick, minced and mashed. Let that sit, and cook two salmon steaks in the oven, with a bit of lemon juice on top, and sprinkled with dill weed and garlick powder, at 400 degrees for 12 minutes. Put the dill sauce over the salmon steaks, and enjoy!! Your tongue will slap your brains out!!! If you like capers, put a bit on top.

*LOL* your tongue will slap your brains out... i am SO stealing that quote *LOL* (and the recipe.. yum!)
  • emilyhbrown
    Options
    vanilla greek yogurt is so tastey to just eat alone!
  • xtophercaa
    Options
    I've been eating the Trader Joe's nonfat plain version with a 1/4 cup serving of Bear Naked granola and 1/2 cup blueberries, as an evening snack.

= )