Soy sauce?

Options
I'm not a huge fan (by itself), but I must say it's great for marinating meat. I tried to do some research online for any health hazards or benefits? Any suggestions? Or maybe substitutes if it's bad?

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I would eat this stuff straight. I think the only problem with it is the massive amount of sodium it contains, though (I could never figure out how they made a product that was essentially straight salt low sodium, lol). Other than that, as far as I know, dig in!
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It's really high in sodium and glutens according to one of my savvy gluten expert friends. The salt is what softens the meat. I use a meat hammer, it breaks down the tough fibers to produce a more tender piece of meat.
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    try bragg's liquid amino acids...kinda different taste, but used the same way and better for you. although, soy sauce isn't that bad for you...just high in sodium...and you want to make sure that the brand you buy contains no msg.
  • firehiker
    firehiker Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What Emily said. Sorry I posted it on your message feed...still trying to get used to this website. I use bragg aminos...like she said, it's a slightly different taste, but comes in a spray bottle, and is MUCH lower in sodium. That sodium is what is messing me up!
    http://www.bragg.com
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    Bragg's? Ok! Yea, I'm just looking for a marinade for my meats. I found some really great recipes but they all call for soy sauce and I wasn't sure on the health benefits. No MSG .. got that part too!

Thank you!
  • firehiker
    firehiker Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Have you ever marinated with Dr. Pepper or Coke? I wonder if Diet would have the same tenderizing effect without making it taste funny?!?! =)