HRM compared to machine

Crystals422
Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I don't have a hrm yet so I was wondering if someone could tell me what their hrm says they burn on the ellptical compared to what the machines says they burned.

Replies

• surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    This varies by the person and by the machine. Some people will say the machines are accurate. My experience comparing my HRM to the machine suggests they are not and that the machines overestimate calorie burn. I think they are giving me too much "credit" when I enter my weight.
  • Crystals422
    Good to know. So it tells me i burn 600 I will just say 400 so that way I don't overeat my exercise calories.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Some machines are accurate but the majority are not. It is better to rely on the MFP estimates than the machines.

For me at 5'8, 138 lbs, 55 minutes (5 minutes are a cool down) on the elliptical maintaining a HR of 154 (which is >80% max, the most recommended area);

MFP: 512 calories
    My wrist HRM: 450-480 calories
    Lifefitness NEW touch screen elliptical: 530 calories
    Lifefitness slightly older elliptical;: 700
  • Crystals422
    I use the Lifefitness touch screen and it says for 55 mins I burn around 600. I weigh more that you so it seems to not be off by that much. I am getting a hrm today. Thanks for reply.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    When I compare mine the elliptical machine usually says I burned at least 75 calories MORE than my HRM says. I believe the machines overestimate.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    I have a strap HRM and sometimes I find the machines actually UNDER estimate what I am doing. Best thing is to spend the $$ and get a HRM so you don't have to guess, I have a Reebok XT HRM and I love it. Plus it was only $40.00.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    The machines we have at the gym seem to underestimate my HR all the time....Its got to the point that I dont even look at it ever
This discussion has been closed.