Advice from BodyBuggers

HollyMac20
HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
So here is the deal...

I got a bodybugg right after thanksgiving and have worn it every day since, give or take a few. I burn around 1800-2000 on a day I don't exercise or move much at all. On a workout day I get up to 2600 calories burned and I have seen 3000+ calories burned a few days that I am moving all day and get a workout in, etc. I workout between 4-6 times a week, both cardio and strength.

I eat between 1600-2000 calories a day most days. My calories come from 75% whole clean foods, I try to limit my dry carb intake and make an effort to get some protein in. I drink my water, 2-3L a day. Seldom do I have a calorie surplus.

The scale isn't moving. I do feel...ok. I don't feel huge, my pants fit good, but given the stats and the science, shouldn't I be losing weight?

Those that have a BodyBugg or BodyMedia, what is your daily calorie burn, your calorie intake and are you losing weight???

Just seems like I am doing al the right things and should be seeing some results. I know I don't have tons of extra weight to lose, but still, I would think I would see something. I am 5'8", size 10 pants and I believe low 20's% bodyfat. My weight was a steady 155 before christmas and has crept to 161 (AH!) even with the steady deficit in calories. I know I haven't gained 6# in muscle either, that is a lot of muscle.

Anything advice or words of wisdom is great appreciated. - Holly

Replies

• sandeeface518
    sandeeface518 Posts: 41 Member
    i burn on average 2460 calories a day just from running around and and being a mom, and I aim for at least a 1,000 calories deficit which seems to be working because I'm losing about 2 pounds a week
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    I bought a bodybugg last year and had the same problem as you. There was always a deficit but the weight loss wasn't happening. My personal trainer at 24 Hour Fitness thought there might be something wrong with the bodybugg that I got. I never looked into that but you might want to. I simply stopped wearing mine when my subscription ran out & am just trying the old fashioned way now (heart rate monitor & counting calories).
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Hi Holly

I've had my Bodybugg since October and was religiously faithful to logging in my workouts and food into the tracker. My burn goal is 2250 and I am usually right there or around 2300 on days when I walk a bit more at the office. I work out 6x/week with a daily goal of 500 calories burned from exercise. I try to keep my calories at around 1500 - 1600 daily. I am 5'8", 42 years old, and lost 18 lbs since using it because I discovered that if I could generate a deficit of 900+ calories daily then the scale would reflect a loss at the end of the week. Unfortunately, there is still an element of trial and error in determining your optimum levels in order to see the scale move. I would highly recommend you take advantage of the free trainer session you should have received with your Bugg purchase. Perhaps that person could give you some specific guidance.

Sharon
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    I've been using mine for the last year, and during the times where I have a long string of meeting my goal deficit, the scale matches pretty well - on average. I've never lost exacty 2 pounds a week even when I had a string of weeks that had a 7000 deficit. However, it usually averaged out over time. One week I may lose 1, one week I may gain 2, one week I may lose 3, etc. But when I averaged it out, I was losing pretty close to 2 pounds a week - when I had strings of consistency. When I have days where I mess up, it throws everything out of wack. It seems like I have to be perfect all the time in order to lose weight. Of course, usually on those days when I go off-track, I don't track my food, so I really don't know what my deficit/surplus was.

However, now that I'm down to 150 (or so), I'm losing much much slower. I can't seem to lose 2 pounds a week anymore. In fact, I'm currently stuck - I've lost 2 real pounds since Dec 20 - but this week, that's back too. So I've increased my calories in goal to 1500 and am trying to get 2500 burn - not that I meet it every day. I know my weight loss is going to slow down now - I just don't like it. And I hate being stuck. I just don't think our bodies drop exactly based on our deficits. There's so much more going on - and I sure wish I could figure it out because I'm getting very discouraged being stuck here, and it's showing in my workouts and my food intake!! I'm adding strength now, but I know you already do that. I think if we keep pushing out those good days, our bodies will adjust.

I believe our bodies have something like a "set point" where it likes to be. I always notice that my body will gain or lose the same 3-5 pounds either way from this point. Until I do something to break that point, my body just fights to stay there. Once I break it, my body seems to find a new set point, and I'll drop a few pounds relatively quickly till it stops again. I've noticed that I seem to hit a new set point faster now than when I was heavier. Like I used to lose about 10 pounds and then I would platau for a while around that point. Now it seems to happen every 2-3 pounds, and it's harder to break it. That probably sounds rediculous, but that's what I've noticed for me. Like now I'm hovering right around 150. When I'm eating perfectly, my weight will drop to 148 (my lowest). But when I eat a little extra on a day (even if I still have a deficit), it jumps to the highest in the range (around 153). But unless I do something to really change that point, it will just continue to stay there. I know I have to have a nice long string of "good" days to get past it - but it's hard to do that when nothing happens!

What have your weekly deficits been at? If I crunched the numbers at all close, I'm guessing your deficits are between 3000 - 6500 a week depending on how many times you worked out that week? That's supposed to give you somewhere between 1-2 pounds lost a week. But you don't have much to lose, right - so it's going to come off more slowly. And you get plenty of strength work in, so you are probably making some very nice changes that just don't reflect on the scale. Have you noticed any changes outside of the scale - like measurements or muscle tone?
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Try upping you calories but keeping between 500-750 deficit Sometime you need to shock it by eating more for a 7 day period.. I wear my bb all the time and burn 1800-2000 a day without exercise. I'm eating 1300-1500 a day and the scale moves just a lot slower the closer you get to your ideal weight..

Up the strength training to 3 days a week to get your muscle working harder for you at rest.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Thanks for the help everyone. I think that Tonya might have it, to lose those last few pounds it is going to take eating that is close to perfect. Perhaps I knew that, just was hoping there was another way.

That is a who other topic, is the 'perfect' body really worth it????

Hmmm, new post to come.

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.