Iced coffee addiction!

Options
I am addicted to Dunkin Donuts iced coffee! In the past month I have started brewing my own at home to save money and control how much cream and sugar is added. I have one 20oz coffee a day. I use half and half and regular sugar. It accounts for about 150 calories a day. I am afraid of using artificial sweetener, but feel it would probably help me. I don't want the taste of the coffee to change, but would like to cut down the calories. Is there a particular artificial sweetener that you guys prefer?

Replies

• ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I prefer Splenda over any other... I don't really taste the difference.

I have Trivu (?) and I don't like it, it's VERY sweet and leaves an after taste.
  • renaconnor
    renaconnor Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't taste a difference between Splenda and regular sugar either!!!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound 100% weird but I accidentally discovered: Cinnamon.

I too am a DD Iced fanatic (medium, french vanilla, iced, skim and sugar :drinker: ) and I make my iced coffee at home almost every morning. Over this winter I read a thing about make your own "pumpkin spiced coffee" with cinnamon and nutmeg (1/4 tsp ea in the grounds). I tried it and loved it and so keep doing it

Fast forward to last week when I had no milk in the house. I decided to make it anyway and add the cinnamon and nutmeg for flavor. Well turns out I can have that coffee with 2 tsp of sugar (usually 3) and NO milk and still love it. The cinnamon totally cuts into the bitterness of the coffee, making my need for sugar and milk much less.

Anyway, this might not work for you, but it's worth try in your coffee formula if you get stuck on other alternatives.

Good luck!
  • chrysnel
    Options
    Here's a thought - why don't you try adding a scoop of chocolate protein powder to your iced coffee? It would give you a sweet taste and a healthy dose of protein to boot! I often put protein powder in my coffee, and it's awesome - tastes like a mocha! Once summer hits I'll be making my coffee 'iced' instead of drinking it warm. I used to use a lot of Splenda, but now I stay away from all refined sugar and artificial sweeteners. I definitely feel better because of it :)
  • christinaincamo
    Options
    I used to prefer Splenda until I tried Truvia . It's just like sugar in taste and texture. Check out their website, you may be able to get a free sample and coupons.
  • fancy_face35
    Options
    how do you post
  • chrysnel
    Options
    how do you post

You just did! :)
  • Sunshiner29
    Options
    Until about 3 years ago I was completely aginst the whole sweetner idea but then my now 15 year old niece moved in with me. She is a type 1 diabetic and I had to change the way that I cooked and had to be careful of the things I made. I started using splenda in my tea and in cooking ect. I found that I couldn't tell the difference in fact I have people that come over all the time who have not tasted sweetner before who ask if my tea and other things were made with sweetner or sugar and I lie and say sugar but you know what they can't taste the difference in it to be honest and neither can I. So that that leap of faith and try it. If you are not sure before you go buy sweetner the next time you are at the corner store or a resturant ask for some and bring it home to try... be honest with yourself when you do and you may find that it taste the same or even better. I have found that as well,,,, good luck
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda too. Have you looked into buying some of the "sugar free" flavored syrups that the premier coffee places use? You should be able to get them at any of the big grocery stores. I can't tell that they are even sugar free. My favorite drink from Starbuck's is a skinny iced Sugar free French Vanilla latte. Since they don't make sugar free french vanilla, they use half hazelnut and half vanilla. It is delicious!
  • abeth1387
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! I may try adding the spices while brewing the coffee. I never thought of that . I think I'm going to give Splenda a try.
  • barberella
    Options
    I definitely am an iced coffee addict too. With Starbucks right around the corner from work, went there up to three times a day until they cut out their 53 cent refill policy. Then I started to see how expensive my Unsweetened Venti Iced Coffee with room got to be. I started buying my own and haven't been to Starbucks or Caribou in months. Now I brew my own and still use Splenda. I also like Stevia too as a sweetener too